• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD phenom x 6 with 250w psu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

outseek

Registered
Hello everyone I have a question regarding my main system. Im writing this using my laptop. And I have just upgraded my main systems Motherboard and Processor. But I kept the stock psu and Im reading that its not wise to run a six core using a 250w psu. Here's my specs.

Mobo: Asus M4A785-M
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT 610
Processor: Phenom ii x 6 1090t
PSU: 250w
RAM: 5GB

And Ive ran OCCT test and I checked my CPU Z and everything seems stable. I do plan on upgrading my PSU followed by my Graphics card in the near future. My question however is. Can I continue to use my main for the time being? Is it safe? Or should I wait till I get a better psu? I also have a 4 gb Ramstick on its way. Will that effect my power? Recomendations for a good budget psu would be much appreciated.

Well from my perspective, you would likely be OK as long as you don't try to push any of the components very hard till you replace the PSU. Now that being said, I have no idea as to the quality of that unit or an age. If it came as a build originally I would be suspect of it since typically they are very cheap.
Now the danger of a PSU failure can be quite catastrophic, it has the potential of taking many components with it in it's death throws. This includes motherboard CPU and ram, GFX card. Also the ram, I wouldn't buy one stick to pair with another, you'd be further ahead getting a good 2x4GB set of 1600 memory that is matched for dual channel operaion.
Here's a list of good power supplies http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589708 I would get something in the 500 watt range myself. That way if you get a power hungry vid card you'll be prepared for it and able to do some overclocking if you feel the urge.

If it runs it runs, I do agree with Johan about the quality and age of the unit. If a low quality unit decides that it doesn't like being a PSU anymore it may decide that it does like to fry all the components in the PC or worse. Besides the list above Johan linked above check out Jonnyguru.com for tested PSU's and pick yourself out a quality 400-500w unit.

250W...

Kind of means nothing without knowing the amperage available on teh 12v rail (what modern computers use mostly). If it is in the ballpark of 250W, it should be fine with no video card installed and running off the iGPU.

Great advice above as those are VERY valid concerns with the quality and age of the unit. :)

If it is a modern, 12v heavy, high quality PSU, yes.
Thing is, I've yet to see a 250w PSU that fits that bill.
Most of them are low quality barely-functional units that slaughter everything plugged into them when they fail.

Grab yourself a corsair CX430 on sale somewhere.

Im running off a 5 year old PSU from compaq presario sr 5123 wm so after reading these replies there is no way im running my system until I get my PSU replaced. I invested alot in the new mobo and processor so I cant risk frying my components. I will check out the links provided and update once i got my order placed. Thanks guys!!

That's probably for the best since you have other means at your disposal

Good choice, no reason to risk frying a new mobo and cpu. For the money, as Bobnova suggested this is a pretty good unit.

Update so I ended up replacing my 250w psu with a CORSAIR VX550W CMPSU-550VX POWER SUPPLY 550W 550 Watts And it powered on but now It keeps crashing. I keep haveing to reset the psu via the button the back. I dont know what could be causing it the PSU was used but its ery good condition. Im using the power cord from my old PSU to power it could this be the problem?

If the power cord is garbage, yes.

Even the newest VX550 isn't very new. I would look through the fan grill and exhaust grill and makes sure none of the caps are bulging.

Well I plugged in my old psu to see if my computer powers on and it does. But now this new PSU wont even start even after I reset it. The fans spin for a quick sec then its just dies. Could it be a bad psu? Should I contact the seller?

so I disconnected an reconnected everything booted up into the bios and just let it sit while i was monitoring the cpu tempreture etc... Everything looked stable and i was in it for about 10 minutes then my new psu died again. Now it wont turn back on. Pretty frustrating.

I also want to add that the light for my motherboard is on showing that there is power going to it. It just wont power on.

Last edited by a moderator:
250 is a bit low, but if you turn it on and it runs then I say go for it. you will likely shorten it's lifespan since you will be drawing at close to peak capacity.

BUMP Im using my old PSU now. Please anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? I just spent 40 on this new psu and it wont work :/

Things Ive tried.

removing ram still fabs spin for a half second then it dies.

Only having the power connected to the mobo. Still nothing.

The only thing this new psu does is light up my Mobo LED. Other than that its useless. Corsair 550w -_- currently running off a stock compaq 250 psu now. Came around full circle.

Im gona layout my whole situation from start to end.

I upgraded my motherboard to a Asus M4A785-M with a phenom ii x 6 1090t processor. Only to find out that my PSU which is a 250w stock compaq psu may not be enough run my new setup. Although my system was running on this 250w PSU I came here to find out if I should continue running on my current power supply. Some of you said if it runs it runs, while others suggested that I invest in a better PSU. And so wanting to be on the safe side I decided to get a new PSU using the suggested PSU guide. I found this used Corsair 550w psu on ebay and ordered it for around 40 dollars. The PSU arrived today and I installed it.

At first it ran for about 10-15 minutes before it died. So I hit the I-O switch to reset it. And it powered on for a couple of minutes then dies. i hit the I-O switch again this time it only activated my fans for a few seconds then died again... So Im guessing this guy sold me a piece of junk? 550w corsair it looks in good condition but now all it does is power the LED on my motherboard other than that it will not boot my system and if it does it wont stay on. Its not any other hardware because Im not back to using my stock 250w psu and everything is running like before. Now my question to all of you is should I try and trouble shoot this new psu or try and get my money back? Has anyone had this kind of problem before when replacing a psu?

Last edited by a moderator:
while others suggested that I invest in a better PSU.
Yes we did suggest it and we also linked a PSU that would work and at the time was $24.00 with MIR

And so wanting to be on the safe side I decided to get a new PSU using the suggested PSU guide. I found this used Corsair 550w psu on ebay and ordered it for around 40 dollars.
It sure sounds like the Used PSU you purchased is bad.

I would request a refund for the PSU and get yourself a "Brand New" unit such as:
Corsair CX 430M 29.99 after MIR
Evga 500w $29.99 after MIR

So you bought a USED PSU? I'd call it dead if it doesn't work in another PC... Are you certain you connected it properly?

Thanks guys I will try and get a refund and invest in a new one. Never buying used PSU again! Also i read that certain PSU only work with certain MOBO could this be the problem. Unfortunately this desktop is all I have to test on.

I highly doubt that's your problem unless the PSU is very old.

So you bought a USED PSU? I'd call it dead if it doesn't work in another PC... Are you certain you connected it properly?
Yep all connections were correct I mean it powered on at first for about 10 minutes then died. So Im guessing its just a faulty PSU I ended up contacting the seller for a refund. He did offer to send me another one to try but I thought why risk it.
Getting it refunded.

Back