• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Services or things that affect switching users in Win XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

I tweaked my friend's computer and I think I may have accidently disabled a service or something along the lines of that so he can't switch users now so he has to log off etc.

Can anyone help me out?

Yodums

Ummm.. Is the "Fast User Switching" service disabled? That would probably do it :)

Also, you could check in Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Change the way users log on or off, and look at the Fast User Switching option.

I'm not into multiple users though, so I don't know everything that could be done to disable it :D
JigPu

Hmm apprantly when he checks that box, it unchecks itself. I did tell him to set Fast User Switching to automatic but he said it can't start for some reason which is odd.

Anymore suggestions?

You might also want to have him check this...Start | Run | Type services.msc and hit OK | Scroll down to "Terminal Services" and make sure it's started.

Path to executable:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Also, make sure the "Startup type" is set to "Manual". Under the "Log On" tab, verify that his profile is enabled: Profile 1/Enabled. :)

Back