• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hooking up fans to 5v?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrashOveride

can u or will it mess up the PSU or fan over long term? i know u can i tried it on a crappy PSU i have but i dont knwo if ther is long term damage to your fan or PSU:D :eh?: :D

Fans have such low wattage that you shouldn't worry about hurting your PSU. The only thing that you should try to avoid is hooking anything up to your harddrive's molex(even though it probably won't cause any problems). Also, alot of power tapped from one molex can overheat it--spread your power taps.

I've had good luck keeping fans spinning down to 3V (including panaflo's) but I haven't had a fan yet that will start at 5V. Test it out. Can't hurt as long as you don't wire it wrong (which would be hard to do).

Now now, adamtekh.
Not all fans will start at 5 volts. I have some too that won't (80mm). No way will my Panaflo 120 start at 5 volts.
Your's may...what's the label on them, so CrashOverride can shop for them if his won't?

all of my 80 mm fans will i'll have to see if my 120mm ones will when i get them, thanks for helping me with my question:D :eh?: :D

Back