• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This may sound kinda stupid..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exodus00

Registered
But what exactly is all this.. i've looked through the many sites listed and really haven't gotten an answer to this... so far all i've come up with is what folding is... i knew that.. but honestly what does networking clientside computers to a giant network have to do with protein folding...??? I run two computers on a DSL network.. an 800 mhz P3, and an Athlon XP1900+... then a gateway 200 mhz K7.... any info on this would help....

folding

Distributed Computing allows for much more processing power at a lower expense than using supercomputers. By breaking up the workload into small packets and sending these out to thousands of volunteer PC users, a lot of work gets done at a minimal expense to the researchers (in this case Stanford University).

We work on tiny pieces of the protein puzzle, while Stanford takes all over our individaul results and sifts/sorts/compiles them into useful scientific data.

Back