• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I am currently moving to a Linux-life. But before I can continue I want to know if those Logitach dual sensor optical mice work under most Linii? Like Gentoo?

Also I'm getting a new 56K modem as my OLD winmodem sux big time. Got 2 choices;
U.S.Robotics Data/Fax 56K V.92 Modem
Diamond SupraExpress 56k Ext Pro RP
Both about the same price, but are there any known issues with these modems and Linux? U.S.Robotics one says its compatable with Linux, but the Supra doesn't say.
Your input would be helpful.

Also would a USB modem work better under Linux, or should I stick with serial? Just noticed that the Supra comes in a USB version.

The dual sensor logitech works fine. I'm using it right now. (moves mouse around) See? :)

Just use the microsoft intellipoint (ImPS/2) protocol.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Just thought I'd point out that I made the /dev/mice device. (Hey that rhymes.)

Do the following as root.

mknod /dev/mice c 13 63

---

Regarding the modem. I'm a fan of external modems. They are easily the most pain free to set up. The only drawback I can think of is that they're external. But think of the other benefits. You have an extra expansion slot. Less heat in case, and less drain on the power supply. :) Ok, I know that's all really reaching, but I just prefer external modems. :D

Richard said:
The dual sensor logitech works fine. I'm using it right now. (moves mouse around) See? :)

Just use the microsoft intellipoint (ImPS/2) protocol.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"

Just thought I'd point out that I made the /dev/mice device. (Hey that rhymes.)

Do the following as root.

mknod /dev/mice c 13 63

---

Regarding the modem. I'm a fan of external modems. They are easily the most pain free to set up. The only drawback I can think of is that they're external. But think of the other benefits. You have an extra expansion slot. Less heat in case, and less drain on the power supply. :) Ok, I know that's all really reaching, but I just prefer external modems. :D
Yeah, just make sure you have support for that in the kernel :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm using my dual optical in Gentoo right now. (right now it's plugged into the ps/2 port, not usb)

Richard, you don't need the emulate 3 buttons option, since you can click down the wheel for a 3rd button.

Here's mine:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

You don't need to, but it doesn't hurt to have it either.

And Parkan. Of course the kernel needs to support it. As do all devices in linux.

sfa ok said:
Yes, I'm using my dual optical in Gentoo right now. (right now it's plugged into the ps/2 port, not usb)

Richard, you don't need the emulate 3 buttons option, since you can click down the wheel for a 3rd button.

Here's mine:

Section "InputDevice"

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

ltww said:
It'll work in USB to, no?

Hmmm...for a while USB was known as the Useless Serial Bus, but I think that Linux has come quite a long way since then.

USB mice *should* be OK with any modern distro, but ps/2 is *safer* and should use less CPU power when you use it. Or something.

As for the modem debates, external serial rule. Serial modems are pratically guarranteed to work, and external is indeed better. I couldn't live with out the flashing lights now :rolleyes:

And my External modem uses less CPU power than my internal AMR one did.

XWRed1 said:
USB is fine. I've been using it in Linux for years.

I only have a USB printer, and I've only had that for a few months.

Do you know if/which USB digital cameras are supported in Linux?

They are supported. There's a couple drivers in the kernel, but they look like old cameras.

You should probably look at gPhoto. It supports alot of cameras.

Back