• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

networking 2 computers w/ crossover cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brg

Registered
I have two computers on windows 2000 pro - both have network cards and I have a crossover cable.

I want to network them - how do I go about setting this up?
If it takes too long to explain, maybe there is a link to an article where this is written up step by step? I don't have alot of network experience.

Thanks,
Brian

Also mentioned in this thread: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=825235&t=85

-----------

If you have 1 NIC in each computer, just get a Crossover Cable and connect them directly together.

Then, you give one computer the IP address "192.168.0.1" and the other computer the IP address "192.168.0.2" on the "255.255.255.0" subnet.

Then make a share. If you want to share c:\temp, then goto c:\, right click on c:\temp and goto properties. Goto sharing. Select "Share this folder". Hit OK.

You also want to enable the "guest" account (this is usually a bad thing to do, but since the network is only between two computers, it's ok). Goto Control Pannel - Users & Passwords, advanced tab, "advanced" button, users folder, right click guest, properties, and uncheck "account is disabled."

then the other computer should be able to see & access the share you just made (by going into my network places, and selecting "entire network" then select the workgroup the computer is in, then double click the computer, you'll see the share.)

if you require more detail, or something doesn't work, post back.

Thanks for the reply but how do I go about giving the computer an IP address?

go into Network and Dial-up Connections configuration (under start/settings), right click on your network card's connection, should be "Local Area Connection" and goto properties.
In there you'll see a list of protocols installed. Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click properties.

Then, select "use the following IP address"
and insert:
IP Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: (empty)
and hit ok.

on the other computer, do the same, except use the IP address 192.168.0.2

ICS- internet connection sharing

Thought he wanted to share Internet too :)

he never said either way, so i thought i would add it just incase he did

I almost always have someone using ICS.. makes for more interesting lan parties :)

Back