• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's the risk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I'm not sure too much about this, and I still have a remaining question. What's the risk of this? It kinda sounds like downloading these WUs another "thing" (person, machine, I don't know) might gain control of my computer and maybe do something...bad, illegal. I don't know, maybe that's pretty paranoid :)D) I just want to think this through!

Thanks!

The WU's are basically just data files that the client processes. There's no executable code in them. Of course the client program and the core are programs, but as long as you d/l the client directly from Stanford (a reputable organization I'd say) there should be no problem. And of course the client d/l's the core from Stanford as well. I'd say there's nothing to worry about. Keep folding!

-Rav

I thought about this before when I joined. Here's are the reasons that convinced me that it's safe:

1. The research program (hence, the WUs) is by the Chemistry Dept. at Stanford University, and the probability of Stanford doing something illegal like breaching your privacy is almost nil.

2. There are many PC-related teams out there, so if the integrity of the program is questionable, I'm pretty sure some tech expert out there would've found out and posted an alert on all folding-related forums.

And you're not paranoid. There are many crooks out there, and you should always be on high alert on things like this -- even if it's Stanford University.

But if you decide to fold, then welcome to Team 32!

esit said:
I thought about this before when I joined. Here's are the reasons that convinced me that it's safe:

1. The research program (hence, the WUs) is by the Chemistry Dept. at Stanford University, and the probability of Stanford doing something illegal like breaching your privacy is almost nil.

2. There are many PC-related teams out there, so if the integrity of the program is questionable, I'm pretty sure some tech expert out there would've found out and posted an alert on all folding-related forums.

And you're not paranoid. There are many crooks out there, and you should always be on high alert on things like this -- even if it's Stanford University.

But if you decide to fold, then welcome to Team 32!

Another point to ponder ... I didn't need to downgrade my defenses at ALL to fold. ;)

Garfield said:

Whatta you mean?

Well ... I run a personal firewall, anti-virus software, anti-cookie software ... etc ... etc ...

I did not need to adjust any of this software to run FAH. It passes through all layers of scrutiny just fine.

This is a good thing, as software with bad intent (mal-ware) doesn't like (nor survive) all this attention.

Hmm, but I do need to allow F@H access to the Net though. I use Zone, and it'll prevent any program from accessing the Net unless I give it permission, and I had to give access to F@H. But you're right, NAV doesn't detect any virus.

Yes, F@H does need a connection to the internet, to download the core.exe program (the actual folding program) and the work units, as well as returning a work unit when it's complete.

esit said:
Hmm, but I do need to allow F@H access to the Net though. I use Zone, and it'll prevent any program from accessing the Net unless I give it permission, and I had to give access to F@H. But you're right, NAV doesn't detect any virus.

Oh ... well ... yes, you're right. I had to grant FAH access to the 'Net. Forgot about that.

If you use a firewall, like Zone, then for programs to access the Net, you must give permission to it. For example, if you want to browse the net with IE, you must give permission to IE before it's able to access the net.

F@H accesses the net whenever it downloads or uploads WUs, so for it to work, you must give permission to F@H.

Garfield said:

What do you mean, "grant FAH access to the 'Net"?

If you use Zone Alarm then you have to grant programs access to the net. Otherwise they will not be allowed to reach the net. If you have not tried Zone Alarm and are on broadband I recomend that you give it a try:D Fold on!!!!!

Where can I get this "Zone"? I've never gone online with my computer (see sig) so I don't have all of the defenses on it yet (anti-virus, and the other things you guys mentioned). What do you suggest I do?

Here's what I have on my PC:

1. ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com) - firewall to block hackers from getting into your PC

2. Norton AntiVirus (www.symantec.com) - scans files and email for viruses

3. Ad-aware (www.lavasoftusa.com) - scans and deletes all spyware

Also update you Windows and Office frequently for security patches.

There's actually more you could do. There was a link on this forum before that links to a pretty good security site, but I forgot where it is.

All the software listed above is absolutely vital.

I would add CookieWall to the list, but with a slightly lower level of importance. YOu can download it free from here .

There are a bunch more free downloads from the same site, http://www.analogx.com . After you enter the site, there's a link waaaaaay up at the top for SOFTWARE - click that.

Back