• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DMI+RY

Does anyone can explain the difference between Intel's 1.8A and 2.4B processors, besides different labeling and pricing?

Plz, don't post those 533FSB over 400FSB bullsh*t, cuz 1.8A easily runs at 133 system bus effectively providing 533 CPU FSB (133*4).

Beside I noted that:
Both of them have same multiplier
Both of them run on 133MHz system bus
Both of them generate the same amount of heat @ 2.4GHz
Both of them have same L2 cache and other specs

So what's the catch?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

well you are right... both will run at 133mhz.

the important part of that is the "a" processors start at 100mhz leaving alot of room for overclocking.

the "b" processors start at 133mhz while still leaving lots of room for o/cing you will need to mess around with your memory dividers to get to insane levels.

if you think about it... getting a 1.8a which runs at 18x100 or getting a 2.26b which runs at 17x133 means at 133mhz FSB your 1.8a is actually running faster, 2.39ghz (18x133), which is the same speed as your 2.4b as well, and it costs alot less to purchase as well.

hope that helps clear things up for you.

Dieni said:
What abotu the 1.8A vs the 1.6A which is better to get?

The 1.8a. 2.4ghz is almost a given....with 2.6-2.7 within reach

Yep, on P4/1.8A 2.4GHz is a no brainer and 2.6+ is quite easy to get even on air.

With 1.6A air cooled 2.4GHz is a bit of a headache becuz of high FSB (especially when mobo can't lock PCI/AGP clock).

The big difference between the 1.8A and the 2.4B is that Intel guarantees the 2.4B will run at 2.4. Intel only guarantees the 1.8A will run at 1.8, anything higher is not guaranteed by anyone.

DMI+RY said:
Does anyone can explain the difference between Intel's 1.8A and 2.4B processors, besides different labeling and pricing?

So what's the catch?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Intel is a big corporate....shareholders want profit.....
MONEY MONEY MONEY

Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

TASOS said:

MONEY MONEY MONEY

;)

The best answer in this thread!

:D

Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

TASOS said:

MONEY MONEY MONEY

LOL! :D

I tend to forget that when I think that they'll be angry that I'm overclocking when I just plunked down 250 clams for a part the cost them $12.00 (Before I'm flamed by someone who really knows what they cost to make I'm not really sure how much it cost them, but I know they're making big bucks:) )

They love our money!:burn:

Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

Rasputin'sLiver said:

I tend to forget that when I think that they'll be angry that I'm overclocking when I just plunked down 250 clams for a part the cost them $12.00 (Before I'm flamed by someone who really knows what they cost to make I'm not really sure how much it cost them, but I know they're making big bucks:) )

It's 02:08 here in Athens...and i have to go to sleep.
But next time i see you here....remind me to tell you a little story

....it's about an old lady that bought Intel stocks back in 1990
...but perhaps you already know the happy ending.....$$$$$$$$

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

TASOS said:

It's 02:08 here in Athens...and i have to go to sleep.
But next time i see you here....remind me to tell you a little story

....it's about an old lady that bought Intel stocks back in 1990
...but perhaps you already know the happy ending.....$$$$$$$$

The ending is that the Onasis child isn't the richest person from Greece anymore! LOL!:D

No, I'd love to hear the real story! Don't forget.;)

Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

Rasputin'sLiver said:

intel, makes a killing off of the cpus they sell. i bet it is less than $12 even after they pay for payroll.:( just think of how much more they would make if their prices were like amd.:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

jdmcnudgent said:
intel, makes a killing off of the cpus they sell. i bet it is less than $12 even after they pay for payroll.:( just think of how much more they would make if their prices were like amd.:D

The way the 2 compare these days, there probably wouldn't be an amd anymore if Intel lowered their prices to amd's level!:cool:

making the chips might be cheap...
but u gotta think of teh investment it took to get to this stage
such as research, development, factory, advertisement
so i think a chip actually takes $40bucks to make...
ofcoures thsi amount dimenishes as more chips are made

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

Rasputin'sLiver said:
The way the 2 compare these days, there probably wouldn't be an amd anymore if Intel lowered their prices to amd's level!:cool:

Let's just hope intel's not that smart. I like the competition. Things get faster faster, and I'm looking foreward to seeing what 64-bit cpu's will do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

Caffinehog said:

Let's just hope intel's not that smart. I like the competition. Things get faster faster, and I'm looking foreward to seeing what 64-bit cpu's will do.

Yeah! 64-bit could take things to a whole new level!:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Question to All OC Gurus 1.8A vs 2.4B

Rasputin'sLiver said:

Yeah! 64-bit could take things to a whole new level!:D

Hmmm. I think we know what 64-bit can do, I'm just wondering what 64-bit will do for us?

Yup,

besides early hopes for 64-bit chips (well Itanium already aging and good 'ol DEC Alpha was 64-bit processor as I recall).

In our world of consumer PCs the actual advantage will hit when majority of software will be converted to 64-bit kernel.
As you remember, the switch from 16-bit to 32-bit was not that smooth (wich officially started with Win3.11 and become massive with Win95).
Without the 64-bit software a new chips won't do to much good for us (Again remember DEC Alpha without software industry support?).
And the last note, that AMDs proclaimed Clawhammer that will allow you to run "older" 32-bit applications will be as good, if not even worth than current processors on the market (Same story happened with Pentium Pro and if you remember that chip was able to run "older 16-bit" apps but at half speed or lower :)).

So I guess the real hit 64-bit newcomers will have only after majority of software will be rewritten to a new kernel with an ETA of 12-20 months.

:confused:

Back