• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WC Temp Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paikuhan

Registered
First off, I am running an XP 2000+ (not overclocked), on an Epox 8K3A+, with 512 DDR Corsair XMS RAM.

My WC setup is Res(mounted on top case) -> VIA Aqua 1300 -> Black Ice Extreme w/Panaflow Hi 120mm -> DD Maze3.
I have Distilled H2O and Water Wetter, with red UV Dye Added.

now my problem. My temps seem way too high. The BIOS at start up say 70C CPU and 34C Case and Motherboard Moniter is reading 67C CPU atm. I know I have good contact b/c I can't tighten my water block anymore (I use the 4 screw and spring mounting method). I am using ASIII on it. If I turn everything off and touch the block and water, neither feels that hot.

I am at a loss for things to try. I really want to OC it, but I loathe to run it at all with these temps. Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

Paikuhan said:
First off, I am running an XP 2000+ (not overclocked), on an Epox 8K3A+, with 512 DDR Corsair XMS RAM.

My WC setup is Res(mounted on top case) -> VIA Aqua 1300 -> Black Ice Extreme w/Panaflow Hi 120mm -> DD Maze3.
I have Distilled H2O and Water Wetter, with red UV Dye Added.

now my problem. My temps seem way too high. The BIOS at start up say 70C CPU and 34C Case and Motherboard Moniter is reading 67C CPU atm. I know I have good contact b/c I can't tighten my water block anymore (I use the 4 screw and spring mounting method). I am using ASIII on it. If I turn everything off and touch the block and water, neither feels that hot.

I am at a loss for things to try. I really want to OC it, but I loathe to run it at all with these temps. Any Help will be greatly appreciated.
First the 8K3A+ reads the on die sensor inside the core of the CPU. With that said, your temps are still way too high. Did you apply the AS3 properly with a paper thin layer? Does anything in your WC system seem hot like the rad or the pump? There are a few things it could be:
1 - Your pump is failing
2 - The Maze 3 needs a good lapping (not likely, have not heard of this problem before)
3 - The WB is not installed correctly
4 - There is some kind of blockage somewhere in your system.

You just need to be a detective to figure this out. For reference, I run my XP 1600 at 2.05V, and 1.9G, my load temps are 49-52 using the Swiftech Quiet Power H20 and the same board as you.

i woud re install the WB and make totaly sure it is facign th righ way ( like if there is a little part that is higher it goes over the higher plasic part of the ZIF ) and then check and if u ave a shim dontuse it it may be toothink, or if u have a shim and a digidoc or whatever with a senson that you have up agains the die then dont put that in:D :eh?: :D

I took off the WB, redid the AS3 and check my system for good water flow. Everything seems to be in good order, except my temps haven't dropped a bit, atm I am at 71C. I really don't know what to do. Would putting a pelt on help any. I really want to OC, but I can't at these temps.

First lets get those temps down, then we can worry about O/Cing.

Is the rad getting cool air, from like outside of the case?

I have an 80mm Fan pulling AIR in, then the rad is bout 5 inch away with an 120 pulling air off it. Would a Higher speed 80mm be better?

I just took my side off and checked the 80, and its providing a nice amount of cool air to the rad. The 120 is pulling it through nicely also.

I can't have the 120 pull in, I have my rad in the bottum of the case, the 80 is all that fits there.

yup, it has good contact. I took it off and it had a perfect little square where, AS3 was, I then cleaned both up and redid AS3 and reattached the same way it was.

What size tubing are you using?

Also, the Black Ice Extremes aren't the best radiators available... and are way overpriced.

I am running out of ideas... :eh?:

I am using 1/2" tubing. I know the Black Ice Extreme aren't the best, but thats what I got :( I plan on getting a new on, but I don't know when I'll be able to get it. ( I am looking for one that can use two 80mm fans, if you know of any I'd appreciate to know where I can get it)

Touch your water lines and rad....Are they warm? If they are warm then you are getting good contact with the CPU/WB. IF not remount the WB. Check the tension/pressure that the block is putting on the CPU. If your lines are warm then you need to look at the rad as the problem source or the pump for poor flow.

I touched the lines, and the aren't cool, but not warm either, the WB isn't too warm either. I don't see how it can't have good contact, I have the WB tightened as much as I can. COuld my WB be a problem, should I look into getting a different one?

The Maze3's are pretty good... considered one of the best I think, so I don't think it is your waterblock.

If you don't have the lines warm to the touch then they are not carrying any hot water away from the CPU. You will find that your WB to CPU contact to not good enough. This could be from a water block that is warped or rough on the bottom. I lapped mine to 800 grit sandpaper using the glass method. One other thing to check...you may have something inside your water block that is restricting the flow.

well the water is zipping nicely through the WB, so I guess I'll go get some sandpaper and lap it. Never read how to do it though, so a nice small description would be nice.

Back