• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS failure, no startup :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shmu

Comp Info as follows:

Duron 900
K7SEM mobo
512 SDRAM

I was playing around with my BIOS settings (yes, real stupid, I now know) and changed the 'CPU Host/SDRAM/PCI Clock' setting from 100MHZ/133MHZ/133MHZ to 133MHZ/133MHZ/133MHZ. Now my computer will not startup at all, I just get a blank screen when I hit the power button... I don't know how I can fix this. Any suggestions? Will I have to replace the bios chip? How much will it run me? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds like a clear cmos would solve that problem. Go find the jumper on your motherboard. If you can't find it you can also remove the battery for a couple of minutes.

hdj

Try reseting the CMOS (BIOS) theres usually a jumper on the mobo you have to move. Try looking in the mobo manual on how doing so.

Duron only run at 200 Mhz FSB :p (with out oc :p)
Only Athlon CPU's can the 266 FSB

What you did was attempt to run you 900 Mhz chip (9x100) at 1200 Mhz (9x133) which is not unheard of or even undoable, but it needs to be done in steps and usually a bit more voltage than default - as well as a L1 bridge unlock.
To rectify the situation, unplug the cord going from the back of your system to the wall power socket, and then locate the CMOS reset jumper on you motherboard. Move the jumper so the your CMOS is reset, than move it back to the original position. Plug your system back in, and power back up - you should be fine at that point. You'll just have to reset your system clock to the correct time, and reset any other settings in the BIOS that you had set previously....

Thanks a whole lot for the prompt replies. So, I'm looking at my mobo manual and it says to clear CMOS jumper (JP1) I have to 'short pins 1-2' (versus normal operation = short pins 2-3). Does that mean I move the pins over or does that mean removal of the pins... yes I know, I'm a newbie (to put it lightly) :)

edit: Okay, so now I get it, just move the jumper cap over to the desired pins to 'short'... Everything is clearing up now :)

You just move the shorting jumper from shorting pins 2-3 to shorting pins 1-2. The jumper itself only needs to remain in place for about 5 secs (if that long). Then move the jumper back to the 2-3 position, and you're comp should boot fine..

Thanks a lot (again). This forum rocks.

I'm gonna go try to fix my comp and will let you know if things work out...

Move them over to shortcercuit the BIOS and the move them back and boot your computer. It should post, if it doesnt try moveing the jumper while the power is on. The computer should turn off, replace the jumper to where it was and turn you comp back on again. If it still doent post try removeing the power cable from the comp and take out the small battery on your mobo and ceap it out for about 5 mins. Replace the battery and power up your computer.

It's ALIVE !!! :) Just had to move the jumper over and back again. Thanks a lot for all your help again guys. Much appreciated.

Now, on a side note, can I customize the BIOS setting to further enhance (speed up) my PC?

Yes u can, try reading this Theres a complete list of all the BIOS features and how to make it run optimal :D

Good for you.

For some reason... when my computer posts.. Im always proned to hit DEL, And go to CPU Frequency.

=D

HaywirE said:
Good for you.

For some reason... when my computer posts.. Im always proned to hit DEL, And go to CPU Frequency.

=D

Try changing the battery on you mobo.

Is it brand new? if it is i yould return it where i bought it and demmand getting a new one, if youve used it for a bit and it just started doing that then change the battery.

It does that because the BIOS cant store the settings after the computer has been turned of eg. it has no power to ceap the memory alive if you know what i mean :p (like RAM = power off : data gone :D)

Back