• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight SK6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Hello, everyone!

I'm considering a ThermalRight SK6 as a HS fora socket 370 motherboard. (So I only have the middle lug on each side of the socket.) It would be a replacement of a Tt Volcano 6cu.

Any experiences on its performance? When stating results, please also state your case temp.

On its use on Socket 370, esp. w.r.t weight?

On your guess as to its performance compared to the volcano above?

My CPU, the PIII tualatin 1.2 GHz, has a max. thermal rating of 29.9W (at stock, full load), if that helps, and my case temp is around 34-35C. (Yes, too hot.)

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!! -- Paul

EDIT: I'm also considering an Alpha PAL6035 and a ThermalRight AX-7. Thanks!!! -- Paul

I have a similiar chip. Celeron Tualatin 1.2GHz. Puts out 29.9w on default settings. Have the AX-7 w/Delta68. Couldn't be happier.

The SK-6 was considered the reigning champ of heatsinks until Thermalright produced the AX-7, which essentially, many people agree, has taken over the #1 spot. Personally, I'd get the AX-7, not because of it's performance entirely, but because it uses a 80mm fan as opposed to the SK-6, which can also use a 80mm fan if rigged. It will allow for more air to be pushed with less noise with a 80mm as opposed to a 60mm. The AX-7 has a 3 prong clip so even if you have 1 lug on each side, it should hold on good. The AX-7 is heavier than the SK-6 so weight shouldn't be much of a concern.

Here's the rundown on my temps:

case IDLE: 25-28c
case LOAD: 28-30c
cpu IDLE: 35c
cpu LOAD: 38c
CPU WATTAGE OUTPUT: approx 75w

These are my summer temps. I'm using an AX-7 w/Delta 68CFM fan. I'm getting a Vantec Tornado 119CFM fan soon to replace it, hoping to see its performance results. Also to let you know, my only case cooling is a blowhole, so my case temps are higher than they should be.

For the price, the AX-7 is a steal.

Bonka, thanks for the results! I'll enjoy looking over the C/W information from your post.

My only concern about the AX-7 is the weight. It's a lot heavier than the SK-6, right?

Thanks again, and have a good evening! -- Paul

If you want top notch performance (Socket A), go for an SLK-600 or SLK-800. Hell, the MCX4000 is going to be released soon, so you might wanna wait.

Prior to my current heatsink (SLK-600), I did have an SK6. The SLK-600 knocked off 10C+.

Klashe said:
If you want top notch performance (Socket A), go for an SLK-600 or SLK-800. Hell, the MCX4000 is going to be released soon, so you might wanna wait.

Prior to my current heatsink (SLK-600), I did have an SK6. The SLK-600 knocked off 10C+.
Klashe,

Thanks for the tips! I wasn't aware of this MCX4000 coming soon. I do see that at http://www.thermalright.com/guideline.html , the site does have a guide of current and coming HS's. I do note that in August, they have a GX-7 in the 70mm size coming to market, as well as SK7 coming in June. (Although I have yet to see one.)

I looked at the weight on the SLK line. At 505g for just the HS, I'm afraid it's a tad too heavy for my Socket 370. Alas, ditto for the AX-7, although it looks super. The SLK-600 is about 430g for the HS only. I was really hoping to not go much heavier than the current 403g of my 6cu.

Thanks for all the tips! I really appreciate it!

Does anybody know a good place ot find the max recommended or spec weight for HSF's on a socket 370 (with just the 2 lugs.) ? Thanks!! -- Paul

PS: Any estimate on how many watts your CPU puts out?

Mine does a max of 29.9W at full load, stock speed. So if there is, say, even a .2 difference in C/W between the heatsinks, that translates to at most a 29.9 * .2 = 5.98 C difference for my application.

From what I can see here, .05 is a better estimate of the difference, so the performance difference would be more like 29.9 * .07 = 2.093C.

On the other hand, on that same list, the 6cu+, with a 7000 RPM fan (faster than mine) is .09 C/W, so I'll guess mine is .10 C/W worse, for a performance difference max of 29.9 * .1 = 2.99 C. Interesting. Hmm, so a guesstimate:

Case: 35C
Full load: 48.75 C (6cu, assuing .46 C/W)
45.76 (SK6, assuming .36 C/W)
43.67 (SLK-600, assuming .29 C/W)
43.07 (SLK-800, assuming .26 C/W)

These aren't exactly earth-shattering differences ... Hmm. I lose 3 C for the $15 of a SK6, then another 2C, then about .5C.

Not sure if any change is really worth while. I might get a 1C improvement just by lapping my HS and IHS.

More input would definitely be appreciated. I really love all teh input. Thanks!!! -- Paul

Well it's worth a shot. Especially since the prices on the SK-6 have dropped significantly since the release of the AX-7. Improvements differ on many variables. Getting the "best" or a "better" heatsink won't necessarily improve your temperatures drastically, might not even be an improvement if your computer's environment is "ideal", IDEAL in which I mean you have a very efficient case cooling setup. A case with proper and structured airflow with a decent heatsink/fan will usually bilk out on top of a system that has inadequate system cooling but a top notch cooler. Results vary.

If you are not happy with your current temps, get the heatsink. If you can live with the temps you have, you can save yourself the few bucks. Personally, I would spend wisely until I feel that my system can cope in any environment.

For the CPU wattage calculator, I just use this simple program called...err... I don't know the name but the zip file says newwatt so let's just call it that. I downloaded it through a link on this forum but here's the file:

Bonka,

Thanks for writing back! The advice you write is quite sound, and I appreciate it!

I think I like your approach. The AX-7 and SK-600 and SK-800 are a bit too pricy and too heavy, so I'll just see what kind of improvement the SK-6 with some lapping and maybe an 80mm fan can get me. I bid on a used one at ebay, so it shouldn't be too much of an expenditure ... :)

Any recommended fans? Thanks! -- Paul

Well, according to your sig, I guess noise IS a factor here?

I'm vaguely familiar with quiet fans but if you're looking for an 80mm fan with good performance, with a relatively low dB rating, check out these:

Delta FFB0812HHE 45CFM@39dB
Sunon High Speed 42CFM@36dB
Sunon Ultra High Speed 50CFM@40dB
Sunon Sleeve Standard 36CFM@30dB

These are the ones that I'm familiarized to with a decibal rating of 40 or lower. That should be tolerable but if you're looking for something quieter, I'm sure many members here can help you out. Noise is no concern for me so I'm not familiar to quiet running fans.

Good luck on your bidding!

:)

Bonka said:
Well, according to your sig, I guess noise IS a factor here?
Yeppers. :)

I only overclock moderately, and try to use overclocker's knowledge of cooling to attain decent temps at low noise levels. (e.g., improving airflow, building fanbus circuits, etc.) Although I'm tempted to the 156 MHz FSB overclock every now and again ... ;)

A appreciate the link on those fans -- They certainly do give good performance for the noise levels. In a fanbus running at, say, 9V or 10V, they may well be near 30 dBA and acceptable in terms of noise and performance.

I've also been tempted to try one of the vantec stealth fans (27 CFM @ 21 dBA for the 80 mm), or the YS-tech TMD fan (? specs) or my current 80mm fans (33 CFM at 29 dBA).

Is it easy to rig an 80mm fan to work in the SK-6? I thought I saw it mentioned that it can be placed diagonally on the HS. Or do I need something more liek this:

60to80.jpg

Thanks again -- you've been very helpful!! :) -- Paul

Noise is no concern for me so I'm not familiar to quiet running fans. :D[/B]

Last edited:
I think there are other quiet and good performing fans out there that I haven't mentioned. Anyone feel free to jump in. I don't know much about this stuff.

The link doesn't work. I think the easiest way to install an 80mm fan on the SK6 is to rotate the 80mm fan 45 degrees. The SK6 should come with 2 sets of clamps for the fans, so try both to see which one will fit the 80mm snug.

You could also try a fan adaptor but why waste the money when the method above is free and would probably work the best?

Good luck!

Here we go. I knew the overclockers site would have this somewhere. The SK6 w/ 80mm fan mod.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips942/

Last edited:
Bonka said:
The link doesn't work.
Sorry about that! I did go back and correct it, but you're so speedy, you beat me there! :)

I think the easiest way to install an 80mm fan on the SK6 is to rotate the 80mm fan 45 degrees.
Now that you mention it, I do remember that story. So I guess that's why I still read them, even if they don't affect my setup ... ;)

Thanks for the link!!

The SK6 should come with 2 sets of clamps for the fans, so try both to see which one will fit the 80mm snug.
Ah, I didn't know there were two distinct sets. Super!

You could also try a fan adaptor but why waste the money when the method above is free and would probably work the best?
Good question. No good answer for that one. I'm thinking about trying the 45 degree trick (assuming I get one) and using a bit of silicon caulk to dampen the vibrations and hold it in place. I think a bit of a spacer might be good, too, to cut down on turbulence. (Like conical fan adapters versus the ones that have gaps like above, which I seem to remember work better for pressure, turbulence reasons.)

Good luck!
Thanks! But with terrific advice like yours on the forums, I don't think luck will be so very necessary!

I noticed in your sig that you lapped your IHS. Any tips or experiences on that?

Thanks, and take it easy!!! -- Paul

I noticed in your sig that you lapped your IHS. Any tips or experiences on that?

Actually, I just decided to lap it to see what kind of improvements, if any, would result from doing so. I really did it because I couldn't remove the IHS, as I hear it can help lower your cpu temps by a couple of degrees. After a couple of failed attempts, I just went on to lap it since the chip was out anyways.

I'm not sure if there were any gains since I did it right when the weather started to get warmer around here so I could've had an improve temperature, I could've not. Who knows.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend removing the IHS unless you want to try every way possible in lowering your temps. Well, that's the kind of person I am so don't be surprised if I attempt it again, which I probably will :p

Thanks for the kind comments :)

Keep us updated in your results :)

Bonka said:

Actually, I just decided to lap it to see what kind of improvements, if any, would result from doing so. I really did it because I couldn't remove the IHS, as I hear it can help lower your cpu temps by a couple of degrees. After a couple of failed attempts, I just went on to lap it since the chip was out anyways.

Actually, I love that the IHS is there -- I was always worried about breaking that lovely blue core ... I'm tempted to give the IHS a good lapping sometime, but have always been nervous about that ... Thanks for writing your insights on that!

Keep us updated in your results :)
Well, somebody discovered my ebay bid and outbid me. The HS was used, so I think it may be bid past its value. Now currently debating the next thing to do ...

I'll certainly keep you updated, though! :) -- Paul

Back