• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Newb Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Southern

Registered
Thinkin of leaving the tried and true asus mb behind and going to the Abit boards you all speak highly of.So here is my question.I see where you say to get pc 2700 mem but Abits site says it supports up to pc 2100 where the bd7II is concerned.Is this right , and if so, what are the benefits to the 2700 mem.OC-ability?Also the IT7-max looks promising.Any preferences out there. I like the idea of loosing the legacy connections.I currently use 512 of rdram, but the price of 512 1066 is going to be steep.What will i loose going ddr vs rdr. Tnx in advance.

Last edited:
Southern said:
What will i loose going ddr vs rdr. Tnx in advance.

My sandra membandwidth with corsair ddr xms 3000 was 3200/3200, which competes favorably with rdram. My point is you may lose a little bandwidth with ddr but with excellent ddr you may not lose much at all and you gain a huge amount of overclockability!:D

on the abit site, is sais this about the bd7-ii
Supports PC1600 and PC2100.
It can't support faster ddr?

Royal said:
on the abit site, is sais this about the bd7-ii
Supports PC1600 and PC2100.
It can't support faster ddr?

It should, they're just referring to the mobo chipset standards.. I'm getting BD7II with PC3200 DDR in a day or two .. and I'll update ya'll with my results..

k, cool. LEmme know, i'm really interested because i might sell my system, hopefuly get enough for a vapochill, a bd7-ii, 512MB of pc3200 ddr (if it works on yours of course), and a b series northwood. If you post here and i don't reply back, please drop me a private msg. Thanks.

Royal said:
k, cool. LEmme know, i'm really interested because i might sell my system, hopefuly get enough for a vapochill, a bd7-ii, 512MB of pc3200 ddr (if it works on yours of course), and a b series northwood. If you post here and i don't reply back, please drop me a private msg. Thanks.

You bet'cha :)

Rasputin..I guess thats not bad at all 3200..I think pc800 default is in the 2700-2800 range and 1066 is around 3400. But that still doesnt speak to the point that the abit board officially supports 2100 mem.So, is the only way to fully maximize the 2700ddr or the xms 3000 is to overclock? On another note,If the bw is close to the 1066 marks i would much rather spend roughly $300 for a GB of ddr vs $600 for the same in rdr if not more. Not to mention the boards are cheaper also. How bout some of the folks that already use 2700 or higher mem on the Abit boards chime in. It would be a great help in the decision processs. Tnx all.

pacino, isn't the 3000 better then the 3200 because the 3000 uses cas2, and the 3200 uses cas2.5?

Royal said:
pacino, isn't the 3000 better then the 3200 because the 3000 uses cas2, and the 3200 uses cas2.5?
From what I've heard, its the same exact sticks, most, if not all, can run at both speeds (3200 CAS 2.5 and 3000 CAS 2).

Back