• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DSL + Distance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
X

---X---

DSL may be soon available to me, and I was just wondering, does distance affect DSL performance? Because if so, cable is better for me, if not, screw cable :D

There's supposed to be a new relay or whatever coming up nearby....oh well Cox sucks and overcharges anyways (long story on that :mad: ) so I guess Ill go DSL anyway, anythings better than 28.8 :)

for regular ADSL the max distance (atleast in my area) is 17,500 feet. there are other XDSL options though that can allow you to be quite aways further away like IDSL etc..

according to my DSL provider you will get the best connection at 11,500 or less and it will slowly degrade a bit until you hit the max distance though even at the max your still getting decent service.

as far as going with cable or DSL i would go with the one that meets your needs best. i had cable for a long time but was never happy with my ping times and when alot of people were online at once in my area the cable service was terrible. with my ADSL my pings are almost twice as good as cable was and for that i lost about 30% of my DL bandwidth and 40% of my UL bandwidth....

I'm on dsl right now(had a cable modem, but ran into service trouble) I'm at around 17,800 and get around 580 or so download with a 138 upload, I'm paying for 768/128 or so... I'm prettty much near the end of the line in terms of usable distance but I still have decent service(the only problem I have is evey now and then the mine goes dead for a second then comes back) no biggie just a little annoying when surfing.

I was at close to 16,000 feet I think. I was getting a full 1.5 down and 256k up with DSL. Downloading in IE it wasn't uncommon to get 160k/sec in Windows XP. Now that I've moved, I can only get cable. The cap there is 1.8 megabits down, yet my transfers at even the best of times rarely go higher than 130k/sec or so. I also get a lot more ping spikes than with DSL.

On the the form of dsl that most companies use it is 18500 feet. It can be extended with a remote terminal but not well. Normaly after 14000 feet most connections will start to deteriorate and sometimes I have seen where a line has to be capped at 384 Kbps just to maintain it at that rate.

Ok, I could live with lower transfer rates, anything's better than 2-3k a second :mad: , but how is ping affected with distance?

Phone line quality has alot to do with download/upload speeds as well. I'm only about 1800ft (as the crow flys, I'd guess about 2500ft actual) from my switch house, yet I only get about 520/96. In reality, I sould be getting about twice that much, especially with the upload because of my distance. But the phone lines around my area are very old and need to be completely upgraded. Little by little, they are being upgraded, but I haven't seen any increase in speed. My area sucks.:mad:

[Edit]Not only that, but Verizon (the line provider) caps the line at 768/128, even though Earthlink allows enough bandwidth to support up to 1200/384. Sucks having just one line provider in the area.:mad:[/Edit]

Last edited:
craigiz1 said:
I know you need to be within about 2100 feet of the phone company or main node thingy. I think distance does effect performance.

What kind of dope have you been smoking? xDSL is distance dependent, but not 2100 feet. If that were the case we would have one-quarter the DSL customers on the net.

For anyone viewing pleasures try this .

Kartman said:

What kind of dope have you been smoking? xDSL is distance dependent, but not 2100 feet. If that were the case we would have one-quarter the DSL customers on the net.

For anyone viewing pleasures try this .

Well...excuuuuuuuse me! I'm sorry I didn't have the right number's down to the very last .mm! j/k :D

I knew there was a distance limit and that was the number stuck in my head. It seemed that everybody got the idea though.

Sorry, late night at the kiddy factory. So, are you on Bellsouth ADSL? I do know that they will bust their butts up to 18K, and so-so between 18-21K feet, but anything thereafter is a wash.

I've actually seen a customer wired at more than 26,000 feet from his mux. No one realized his wire disstance, because he had dang good copper pairs. Still, his bandwidth never got over 300Kbps downstream.

Back