• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp difference between Artic Siliver 1 and 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shill82

Right now I'm running artic silver 1 but will be recieveing AS3 tomorrow. Right now I'm stable in prime as long as my temps stay below 54. I'm running a Glaciator 2 and I can stay below that temp at night but during the day is a different story. Ambient temps are low 90's and my case can get as high as 37c! Sorry to bore you. However my question is will I see a large change in temps with AS3 vs AS1 or will I have to dig deeper to get myself 100% stable?

Thanks
Shawn

Well I think you may have to "dig deeper" you may see a 1-3c drop with arctic silver 3 if any at all, to get better temps you'd have to get a better heatsink and some better case ventilation

While AS3 will drop your temps, it would help to get more heat out of the case. You should be able to get your case temps within 1C to 2C of room temp without turning your case into a wind tunnel.

Could you give me suggestions on how to make it ventilate better? I already have 3 case fans and 2 fans in my power supply. I have one fan in the front bottom sucking air in one that I cut onto the side panel of my case sucking air in and finally one at that back of my case sucking air out. Also I don't know that what I was reporting as case temp is actually case temp I was reporting Mobo temp if that is case temp.

Thanks
Shawn

Yeah the AS3 will gove you a modest gain at best, provided the hot air is dealt with effectively within the case.

Some tips for a good airflow: lower fans as intake, higher fans as exhaust (heat rises), make sure there is a reasonable path the air can take between intake and exhaust (blocking factors might be extreme wire dangles or big PCI cards), balance CFM in and out, but keeping a slight margin extra for intake (create slight overpressure).

Back