• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I would like your advise on a video card for gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Billvill

Could I get some feedback on a decent 3D video card for gaming at around $100.00 ? Ohhh and if anyone could recommend a steering wheel setup I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks Billy

Hi
For that price range, there's a GeForce2 GTS 32mb card. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com. This cards starts at $109. That's the lowest price I've ever seen. I paid $250 for the same kind of card long time ago.

ATI Radeon LE starts at $68. and if you can flash the BIOS on the card, it can perform just as good as the Radeon 32mb DDR. GF2 GTS 32mb will still outperform Radeon 32mb in games though.

As for the wheel, I have a Logitech Wingman Formula Force wheel and it is a nice one. It used to cost $150 but now it should be lower.. good luck :)

Thanks for the advice. Without going into why I am leaning this way , what do you think about a voodoo 4 4500 . I may upgrade in the future but at the moment I want to get my feet wet in gaming.

Thanks Billy

voodoo4 4500 is okay.. some improvement on the speed and 32bit color than the voodoo3 series but not fast enough to many games out there I think...
voodoo4 can't keep up with the speed of these cards i mentioned in my last post.. Ati Radeon 32mb DDR or LE and GF2 cards are very good.. Take your time on making a decision and have fun! good luck :)

Billvill (Jun 15, 2001 01:03 p.m.):
Could I get some feedback on a decent 3D video card for gaming at around $100.00 ? Ohhh and if anyone could recommend a steering wheel setup I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks Billy

I just picked up a Leadtek GTS 2 Pro for a 135 bucks, can hardly go wrong with that.

PIII cbo 700@1030 w/alpha, Abit BE6 II, 256 Mushkin Rev2.0, Maxtor 20 gig 7200 RPM, G'force GTS Pro 32mb

Sweet setup you have there. My chice for a good balance of performance/image quality are the Radeon cards. I have a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI now. But I am gonna get a Rdeon ASAP.
Echo ƒ~ƒ‹ƒN•²'s advice.

If you going cheap, and want a crap load of performance for the $$$$ the Radeon LE is the best thing going.
ALMOST Geforce GTS performance in the FPS department, but with better looking 3d/2d. "flame suit on"

Check out www.newegg.com
AKDUDE

Billvill (Jun 15, 2001 04:18 p.m.):
Thanks for the advice. Without going into why I am leaning this way , what do you think about a voodoo 4 4500 . I may upgrade in the future but at the moment I want to get my feet wet in gaming.

Thanks Billy

Ahh.....a man that knows Quality! =)

I'd recommend the 5500 as it's well under $100 now. I've moved to a G2 32meg DDR and really can't see a difference. Havn't run any benchmarks yet.....but we'll see.

ƒ~ƒ‹ƒN•² (Jun 15, 2001 01:39 p.m.):
Hi
For that price range, there's a GeForce2 GTS 32mb card. Go to http://www.pricewatch.com. This cards starts at $109. That's the lowest price I've ever seen. I paid $250 for the same kind of card long time ago.

Jeez, I remember paying 250 bucks for my Creative 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 vid card that I don't even use anymore. Man have times changed!

I'm thinking about selling my V5 5500 to buy a Radeon 64 DDR. Main reason for speed and better 32bit color. The V5 is ok but Just very tempermental for me. Sometimes runs great and other times not so great!

Of course I'll wait and see how it runs when I build my new system. Going from a PIII 800 to a T-Bird 1.2 gig, Which should get to atleast 1.4 gigs with watercooling. So maybe that will make enough difference to persuade me to keep my V5. We'll see.

Nvidia anything is the rage the Geforce series especially. And they dominate the Vid Card Market.

Maestro

once you have a good card i presume its for driving games cause you want a good steering set up well the best i have tried and im sure its the best one out there is the thrustmaster force feedback.its an incredible realistic feeling and makes the racing game that much better

I prefer a joystick to a wheel. You get not only side to side feedback, but you also get forward and back. It's much more interactive in driving games, and available for more than just driving. I highly recommend the M$ stick. Way over priced, but very sturdy (mine has slipped a couple times out of my hand and ended up on the other side of the room :)) and compatable with everything.

As far as your vid question, here's a thread you may wanna watch a bit.

bdf24 (Jun 17, 2001 06:49 a.m.):
I'm thinking about selling my V5 5500 to buy a Radeon 64 DDR. Main reason for speed and better 32bit color. The V5 is ok but Just very tempermental for me. Sometimes runs great and other times not so great!

Of course I'll wait and see how it runs when I build my new system. Going from a PIII 800 to a T-Bird 1.2 gig, Which should get to atleast 1.4 gigs with watercooling. So maybe that will make enough difference to persuade me to keep my V5. We'll see.

When you get that new rig I can almost assure you, that you will keep your Voodoo5. Most cards (Gf2) for example, would gain about 6FPS when upgrading to a rig like that from what you had, but the Voodoo5 has to be one of the most CPU dependent video cards Ive ever seen, and you will prolly get a good 12+ extra FPS in the games you play, and an extra 700 3dmark points.

i personally like the radeon 32ddr over the gts, but thats me. and what is with 3dmark scores and all that? this isnt a flame or challenge to jeff by any means, but a question to this forum. i have seen arguments and debates and concerns about why they are too low or high. i just wonder why that matters, shouldnt it be more the fps and image quality?

I hope I didnt make it sound like I actually use 3dmark as a thing to see how good the vid card is, because to tell you the truth, I hate 3dmark! I was using that as an example because I know how many guys (and gals) use 3dmark. But if what your trying to say here is that you measure how good a video card is by the FPS and image quality, then you are just like me.

I don't use 3dmark either. In fact I have never even downloaded it! I care more about real time game play a hell of a lot more then benchmarking.

I know the V5 is really cpu reliant, but I'm just hoping it's gonna be a noticible enough difference in speed and smoothness of game play to keep it. I really do like this card and it would be VERY, VERY hard to give up the FSAA! But I want something faster. Well I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Give up FSAA? Why when the Geforce 2 cards do it faster than the v5. The geforce 3 cards do it even better.

Back