• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My ideas for a GPU heatsink!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigfoot

Well, I'v been thinking BIG! so I decided I'd go hunt down a good sized Socket 7 Heatsink, since I have a fan in my side panel, I won't be having a fan on the heatsink. Since my clip has to go diagonaly, I cut the corners off diagonal. Now with it diagonaly the corners still covered the holes that I had to put clips through, I cut a little off those corners also.

I don't have a digital camera so I'll have to borrow a friends and post some pics of the final product.

Oh, and here's a scetch I drew before I cut the heatsink, it may give you a better idea of what I actually did for now.

So what do you all think?

Last edited:
I just got a 60mm socket A heatsink and AA Epoxied it on. Seems alot simpler and then you're not cutting down the sink, i.e. reducing it's performance. Using the freezer trick AA Epoxy comes off real easy too, so it's not permanent.

If you don't wanna bother with all that just do what you were going to, it couldn't hurt.

--Illah

Yeah, someone around here put a SVC Goldengate on their vid card, jury-rigging CPU heatsinks seems to be a very effective way of cooling....its well worth it :D

I put a socket 7 heatsink on my gts. i just put it on diagnol to the gpu and held it on with a zip tie around the heatsink where the clip was and throu the stock holes in the card

Well, I gota admit that just using AA epoxy would be easier, but I like to have fun, It is working very very good, I used to have to use a powerfull fan with my case open to keep it even close to how cool I like it @ 150, now it stays COLD @ 164 with a litle side panel fan.

I will post some real picks ASAP...

I am been using the Intel Box heatsink from coppermines on my GPU for well over a year now... almost 2 years (upgrade coming withen a week)

K6-2 heatsinks also are great, keep my TNT2 Ultra cool like that....
and the socket 7 heastinks i find are best served cut with a hacksaw into ram sinks.

I've also thought about ading ramsinks, but neither of my vid cards nead them (TNT2 and GeForce DDR). My bro's getting an AIW Radeon 8500 soon, and he's giving me a crack at it :bday: so I'l probabily do exactly that.

Back