• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2K Display Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kronarq

Registered
Help Me Plz!!!

I just recently got my machine running and for now I am running a Voodoo 3 until I can buy a Geforce 4 ti. It had been running for about a week I had been playing with different drivers for it trying to find one that gave me the best performance and all of a sudden it has wigged out. I have all udates that are out from ms for win2k. What happens is whenever I install a driver it continues to say there is a problem with it but everything is displayed properly and games play fine then i reboot and it goes back to a standard vga display w/ 16 colors n stuff but it says the driver I had instaled before is still installed but it still has its little problem flag in front of it. If I reinstall the driver it will work fine again till i reboot!!!! Help plz! I am new to any nt based stuff I have always ran 9x so I have no idea what the problem could be.

AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1400 was running at 1591 with fsb at 151 but now is back at 1400 when problems arose.
128mb PC-133 soon to be 512mb.
if u need any other specs just
e-mail me or post here again any help would be greatly apreciated. I would just reinstall the os but like i said i have all the updates and that took way too long to get not to mention all the other I've got on it already so i will save that as a last resort. Thnx for ne help ne one can give.

Welcome to the forums.
First thing you should try is completely removing the existing driver(all traces and mentions), and then do a clean driver install. Sounds as if you have old drivers conflicting with the new one.

Display driver

Hey thank you. As far as the complete uninstalling... I have. I even went and get the last official win2k driver that was released for it and followed all directions step by step i completly unistalled all of it the tools and the driver... rebooted the system and tried to install the new stuff at the end of the install it says it wants to reboot the comp so i let it and when it reboots i have the same standard vga.....driver not working properly thing...and i know it is not the driver i have had it working fine before?????

What happens is whenever I install a driver it continues to say there is a problem with it.
What exactly is Windows telling you, as far as what the problem is with the driver?
but it still has its little problem flag in front of it
When you right-click the device in Device Manager, and select "Properties"...is there an error code? Is Windows telling you that there is a problem with the device, and that the device is not functioning properly?

You might want to have a look in Event Viewer...Start | All Programs/Program Files | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer, and check for any critical errors that may have occured, by selecting "Application" and "System" independently (in the LH pane) and seeing what's displayed in the RH pane (as far as logged errors). Right-click the error(s) and select "Properties" for a description of the error in question. ;)

Ok guys thnx for the help but out of desperation i tried reinstalling the drivers one more time and it worked for some reason this time

Back