• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF?! New Geforce 2 Pro is WAY to slow!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ErikZ

Well, I finally upgraded my Video Card. From a TNT. Yeah yeah. :)

It's a PowerColor Geforce 2 Pro with 64 meg.

So I downloaded 3D mark 2001 to see all the cool graphics and to see how it measured up. I got an 1100.

According to the Madonion database, it's about level with a TNT2 ultra?!

So I got the 3Dmark 2000 to see what it scored with that. 2500?!? WTF?

Is it the card? It looks identical to the pictures of the other cards out there. My system consists of

Win2k
Celeron 533 OC'd to 800 ( 100x8 )
BH6 motherboard
384 meg of PC100 RAM
A few hard drives, a DVD and a CD drive.

This is driving me crazy. I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers and now I can't even overclock. :(

ErikZ (Jun 16, 2001 11:03 a.m.):
now I can't even overclock. :(

To enable the overclocking, you should create the following section in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak
and introduce a parameter of DWORD type named CoolBits and equal to 3. After that you will get access to "Hardware" properties page in the driver settings. Now you should enable "Allow clock frequency adjustments" to be able to set the frequencies equal to over-nominal values and reboot the system.

But I don't think this will help much, You should be able to get a score around 5000 at least (3Dmark2K) w/ default settings.

are you sure you have the right 4in1's installed , it sounds like you dont , I get 2450 in 2k1 on an mx with 32 mb memory
wildone

Yeah, I have the same exact card (I think I was ripped off though brcause I ordered a Geforce Pro not a GTS) and I get 8827 in 3DMark2000 and 3679 in 2001.

wildone (Jun 16, 2001 11:38 a.m.):
are you sure you have the right 4in1's installed , it sounds like you dont , I get 2450 in 2k1 on an mx with 32 mb memory
wildone

I thought 4 in 1's were only for the VIA boards? Mine's an Abit.

FullofSlackYeah (Jun 16, 2001 on 11:45 a.m.):
I have the same exact card (I think I was ripped off though brcause I ordered a Geforce Pro not a GTS)

We were ripped off. Putting a "Geforce Pro!" sticker on a box labeled "Geforce GTS" does not make it a GTS. I'm calling them on Monday. It's not worth it to send it back (15% restocking fee) but maybe they'll wave it when I accuse them of fraud.

KILLorBE (Jun 16, 2001 on 11:21 a.m.)
To enable the overclocking....

Yeah, I know that part. I guess I'm going to have to try the older Nvidia drivers until I get the overclocking slide bars back.

Hm, my friend who told me he got 5000 said he was getting 2500 too until he tweaked it. Way to hold back info dude.

I thought 4 in 1's were only for the VIA boards? Mine's an Abit

your right sorry , just so use to talking of amd and most ae via
My appoligies
wildone

ErikZ,

Have you cleanly uninstall the previous TNT driver?.. and then install new GF2 Pro driver? I don't know if you already know this and have done it already.. but just a thought to add.. let me know if you have done it and how.. because the problem you're having seems to me it's the video driver conflict in the registry as if something is distracting or blocking from your new driver to work properly..

i was just gonna suggest that lol boot into safe mode and check your device manager ill bet your old drivers are there too. just delete all the drivers under display adapters and monitor and reboot and windows will detect and install only one driver for your monitor and one for your vid card

Grrr.

Ok. What I've done so far.
"Uninstalled" the GeForce2, put my old TNT back in. Booted up and it was recognized instantly. "Ah ha!" I thought, the old drivers must still be in there. I ran the 3Dmark2000 on it and got a score around 1950.

"Uninstalled" the TNT. Turned off the computer, replaced the TNT card with my GeForce 2. Used the 12.41 drivers. Ran the 3Dmark2000 drivers again. 2550. Downloaded the drivers from powercolor. All they are is the 5.32 Nvidia drivers. I tried them anyway. Score of 2200.

Then I did the coolbits registry edit. Overclocked the memory on the card from 365 to 400. Score of 2200.

"WTF IS GOING ON?!?" Johnny Mnemonic

According to the Geforce FAQ, my memory should come clocked at 400, and the chip at 200. At least tell me if this is true guys.

Definitely the via chipset, used on Abit motherboards (though I'm not positive it is on yours)... something's wrong someplace, that card kicks... check your bios for the agp settings, video caching... etc

According to the motherboard manual, it uses the 440BX chipset. (82443BX and 82371EB)

It has AGP 1x and 2x. But nowhere in the BIOS where I can set that. I can set the apititure to 128, but I had already set it to 128.

I just tried Nvidias new drivers, huh, I just lost all my Nvidia tabs. Whee.

Tried the 4 in 1 drivers for the hell of it. It just crashed.

I'm going to try and find a friend who has a modern motherboard and test out the card on his system.

oh dear... I knew it's not the Via's 4 In 1 driver for the mobo. That is for Via mobo, not 440BX chipset mobo. It sure would crash or not even work on a 440BX.

AGP1X, 2X, and 4X will HARDLY make any difference in the final output of the gameplay or running benches like 3Dmark xxxx and expect huge score difference. You can still have very high score with a 1X AGP, so don't worry about AGP setting.

Aperature size of 128mb and Up is okay. Since you have 384mb or RAM, you can move it upto 256mb aperature. But still, this will not give much of gain in FPS or 3Dmark scores. Only if you go down to 64mb, 32mb, etc, you would get low FPS or scores.

The problem I thought of earlier was correct since he realized that his PC recognized the TNT when he put back his TNT card in. The old vid driver was still in there and causing blockage for the new driver. The problem he still has now is because more likely that the part of his old TNT driver is still there. So I want to be clear how you uninstalled your TNT driver and your TNT card before you get to the GF2. Here's a list of how it should be done..

1. Go to the "Add/Remove Programs" Icon, then uninstall the nvidia (TNT) driver or whatever it says.

2. Go to the "Device Manager" by right clicking the "My Computer" Icon on the desktop. Remove the TNT driver in the "Display Adapters" section.

3. Restart the computer and boot into the "Safe Mode". Go to the Device Manager again and remove the stubborn old driver. :) Then "Turn OFF" the computer.

4. Remove the TNT card. Then Install the new GF2 card.

5. Start the computer. It should report that it has the new GF2 card as it boots before it loads the windows. Now, you can install the new GF2 driver.

This is one of the clean way to uninstall the old one and install new card and driver. This will assure that old TNT driver is **Goodbye~** :*

However, when you upgrade the nVidia driver for the same card, you dont need to go through all this step. I hope this helps.. Have you tried exactly this as I've just said?.. if not, then it **may be** the old driver of yours' been still there.

If still doesn't work, then if I were you, I would "reformat" the HD and "install" the Windows again. but I dont think you have to go through this.. good luck!

Ok. I went gonzo on this last night. This is what I found out:

The card is fine. I rebooted into win98, uninstalled the TNT drivers, installed the GeForce drivers. Ran 3dmark. Got great scores.

It's not a conflict with another card, irq or motherboard setting. I removed all the cards, one at a time, and ran the benchmark each time. I even tried removing the new ram I installed. No difference in win2k.

Under win98 everything runs great. I can overclock using the latest drivers.

Under Win2k, if I move the bar one Mhz and apply, the system crashes. Bluescreens. It blames NV4_disp.dll. According to the Driver details under system, all the DLLs are current.

I've tried finding the TNT drivers like everyone has been says, but they're simply not there. Not in safe mode or in any mode. I'll try reinstalling the TNT and uninstalling it.

I refuse to reformat the drive and reinstall. I upgraded to win2k to avoid that garbage. I've got too much stuff on my computer, including web bought programs. And Now that I'm back to using a modem it will take all week to get back to normal.

first mistake
never upgrade a OS

never go from 95 to 98
or 98 to win2k
or nt to 2K
NEVER

now go spend you a $100 and get a decent cd burner
burn everything to CD
FORMAT
then reinsall everything

andalso win2k sucks for benchmark scores
hell 3D scores period

dont compair them to win98 scores or you will be fight ing this till the end of time

AZZKICKER (Jun 19, 2001 02:04 p.m.):
first mistake
never upgrade a OS

never go from 95 to 98
or 98 to win2k
or nt to 2K
NEVER

now go spend you a $100 and get a decent cd burner
burn everything to CD
FORMAT
then reinsall everything

andalso win2k sucks for benchmark scores
hell 3D scores period

dont compair them to win98 scores or you will be fight ing this till the end of time

I agree, windows 2000 is a rsource hog and that included 3d performance, which is why most gamers (including myself before dual procs) keep a dual boot system with w2k and 98se... I saw a 15% drop in benchmarks from 98se to w2k, and have heard others experience the same thing.

actually the NT to 2000 upgrade isn't so bad. Guess they put more time into that one since the high dollar customers run it. Upgrading will save all of your settings and wipe your drive.......install 2k then put your settings back. The rest are absolutely correct tho.

what the heck are you whinning for? I do reformatts' for fun//////// and before breakfast!!!!!!

As for your web programs......rule #1 NEVER pay for web programs.

*Note*
This post Edited by Forum Manager:
We consider the use of Cracked software thief. We DO NOT allow posts advocating theft.
Post in this manner again and you will be ban from these forums.
Daniel~

Very well said, Jack! :p
That was nice and so simple to anwser! I wanted to say that... haha~ :D

It's always good to "reformat HD" & "install windows". :-o

jack (Jun 20, 2001 11:06 p.m.):
what the heck are you whinning for? I do reformatts' for fun//////// and before breakfast!!!!!!

As for your web programs......rule #1 NEVER pay for web programs.

After reformat, just email those same program developers, tell them your name, your delima, your reformat experience, and they will send you the codes to register your product again. Bite the bullet. It's the only way to get things right. Sorry. It's really not that hard.

Right, Some progz even tell you to make a backup first since they won't send you the codes or the prog a second time.(I believe SANDRA tells you that).

Back