• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How much GPH could a homemade waterblock handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
X

---X---

Well, the title says it all :p, if I were to make a waterblock and seal it through soldering, what would be the highest practical GPH it could handle? Would it be able to handle 500-600 GPH? (Eheim 1060) Im assuming here that pressure increases along with the flowrate, if Im wrong please correct me :)

Most pump ratings such as the ehiem 1060 are given with zero head which means with nothing attached. In reallity that pump would push between 1gpm and 2gpm through the block once everything is attached. I tested my own homemade block with an actual 540gph going through it without a problem but it is not a soldered top block. I would be interested to know what the soldered blocks could handle also.

I don't know about GPH, but I hooked up my first waterblock to an air compressor and put 50PSI thru it without problems. This was an epoxy-and-acrylic job, too. A soldered metal block could handle even more.

I don't think that any pumps out there wil be able to generate enough pressure to pop a block. To be safe, take your H20 out of your case for a while and run it in a bucket or something just to test it for leaks.

If its properly soldered, it should be able to handle almost anything you throw at it.

I can't remember which site had it, but they did a pressure test to destruction on one of their soldered top blocks...over 1200 psi.
Unless your force feeding your water through a jet ski impeller, you'll have no problems.
Just my plexi top block with Marine Goop alone holding the plexi on could take 60 psi, same as my household water supply (cause that's how I tested it).

Thought so, I guess Ill have to do some searching for an actual 500 or so GPH...I knew the Danger Den blocks could handle it, but I know Im not as good as them ;) and wanted to be sure a "crappy" job (in comparison to them) could handle it as well :)

Back