• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dailup from 98 PC into Win2k Prof PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bergie007

Hi all

I got 2 identical Duron600 PC's at home now: 1 with Win98SE and the other with Win2K Professional. Both have modems. I also have analogue PABX-type system whereby I can call any exchange in the house from any other exchange. I have managed to get my 98 pc to dail into the 2K pc and to connect, but I can't get the two to share files etc. I'd like to get the two to function over the modems/POTS as if they were on a CAT5-crossover network. I also don't have enough cash for any form of NIC, and in my area they're not easy to find either! What do I do?

I have never actually done it, but try this (on the win2k box) Go to control panel > network and dial-up connections > make new connection. Hit next, select accept incoming connections, hit next, where it says 'connection devices' select your modem, and hit next. Select "allow virtual private connections." Now, when it says "users allowed to connect" make sure that one of the users has the same logon name that you use on your win98 box. or you can just select check guest. Then hit next until you're done. I think this will work. Oh yes, then you have to open up the computer managment panel, go down to users and click "local users and groups" double click users, and double click on guest. then uncheck "account disabled". please let me know what happens :)

tweakman278 is right, but you might have to install the "Client for Virtual Private Networks" or something like that on the Win98 box..

You should really check around for NICs, especially if you intend to do this when they are right beside eachother. You'll only be getting 56k connections...

You can pick up a brand new cheap NIC for $10 in most cases.. or see about getting a used one... 10Mbit is fine... even that'll blow away 56k (by about 179x the speed).. and just get a cross-wired CAT5 cable. total networking solution for around $10-20, used. Most of your local, no-name computer stores will be able to set you up with this stuff. the more well-known places may charge you lots of $$ and only carry new stuff.

Click Here!

Five bucks a piece (10/100) plus shipping
You'll need a cross-over cable too...let me know how long of a cable you need and ill send one to you, as long as you pay the shiping ;)

Back