• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vantec Tornado Thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bonka

Well my fan adaptor finally came in the mail today. Really anxious to put the fan on. Took me about 20mins and some ingenuity to mount it because the supplied screws weren't long enough for the Vantec. Anyways, I finally mounted it on but with no grill because of the short screws, so I guess I'll have to drop by Home Depot later.

Well, I'm not sure about the results I'm getting. Doesn't seem like there was an improvement at all. However, I did move my heatsink around a lot trying to mount the adaptor.

Looks like there is finally a fan that I can't take :p

I think I've reached the maximum limit of how cool I can keep my computer with aircooling (mid 30's).

Last edited:
what CFM and size tornado did you put on? I used the 92mm 119CFM and I saw a 3C drop over my 68CFM Delta

i had similar problems trying to attatch the tornado to a heatsink. what i did tho was put the screws thru the bottom holes and use a screwdriver thin enough to fit thru the top holes to screw them in. it wasnt too hard and i was able to put the grill back on aftarward.

The size of screws is "G3-50T".
"3" means diameter of the outer ring is 3mm.
"50" is the total length.
"G" is the type of the head
"T" means "tap"

Just get a longer screw to fit your application

Well I'm not too worried about the length of the screws right now. Just that, seemingly, I didn't notice any improvements from my 68CFM Delta. And yes, I got the 92mm 119CFM with a universal fan adaptor.

Oh then you want screws that will fit into the the fan holes they are exactly what I have on mine 8/32 x 1 7/8" panhead screws.

Now back to your subject, I would remount it with some new AS3 and see how that works. Also what are your temps CPU and Case? I think I am going to do the same because that bracket played hell on me and moved the heatsink quite a bit when I was mounting it.

Yes. I'm heading down to Home Depot to get some longer screws, I guess I'll pick up the same ones that came with the fan adaptor, just slightly longer.

Actually, my computer is at a friend's house so the temperature readings might be conflicting. Here it is anyways:

ambient: 21-23c
case idle: 30c
cpu idle: 37c
case load: 31-32c
cpu load: 40-41c

The variance between idle and load are about right. I only have 1 fan going as my case cooling, an 80mm 53CFM blowhole. THat's it. At home, my case temps are about 3-4c lower.

I would really suggest getting some better case cooling, thats your problem, not matter how hard you blow the air your not going to cool it down any. Get some case fans and get your case temps closer to ambiant and you will see some results.

Back