• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voodoo 5 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mad Butter

Hi guys.......I have a voodoo 5 5500 and I was going to get a GF3 but i dont have any money at the moment....... I have overclocked my CPU (800-1.1) but never clocked my video card......I have an idea of how to cool it but i need some suggestions........I've never overclocked a vid card before so i need so advice and help......Any cooling suggestions and a good program to use to help me overclock........i also need the newest possible drivers for the voodoo 5......I looked in www.voodoofiles.com but i'm not very good at knowing which ones are good and not.......If someone could help me out with that too.......thx guys.

-evan

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

Click video card utilities, then overclocking and tweaking. At the bottom, theres a voodoo 5 overclocking utility.

As far as cooling, I dont know what a voodoo 5 has on it. To start, I would just get that program and up the frequencies in small increments until you get artifacts or lock ups. If you want to get better cooling then, you can see how much farther the new cooling will let you go than stock by comparing it to what you originally overclocked to (if that makes sense, it does in my head:) )

I do have a voodoo 5 and i have placed a pair of crystal orbs on it, i know that i only managed 190Mhz but here it is quite hot topping 32 degrees celcius already !! :(
anyway if u want to check out how it looks check my web link (it also shows my modded pc :) ) and btw if u r thinking of getting the crystal orbs make sure u have a vacant pci slot

I think I have artifacts now without overclocking......When you scroll up and down pages and stuff.....you can see like these little sqiggly lines....and in games it does that too........I think I overclocked it to much before and it jsut stayed like that ever after.......Is there any way of fixing that??? and what are the newest drivers for the voodoo 5 Snatcher???

-evan

ouch the artifact case sounds a bit doddy. Try removing the card putting it in an anti-static bag, taking out all the air from inside, sealing it and the putting it inside the freezer for like 10 mins. It worked for me to achieve higher temporary clocks, so i am assuming that it will remove the artifacts cause the GPU's will get very cold. Just my 2 cents on that. Regarding drivers i am a bit scared of trying new ones, but voodoofiles.com has some good ones, also i really like the omega and the x-3dfx ones. :)

How do I seal the bag??? I understand putting it in a anti-static bag(which I do have)..........How do I get all the air out and seal it??? Do I just fold the extra end of the static bag over and tape it shut........????

I want to try your method.......But are you sure it wont kill my card???

-evan

well for mine i got the anti-static bag, put the card in, pressed the bag firmly, and shut it with tape all over starting from the closed end and rolling the tape over the bag until it reaches the opening and the closing the opening, like a mummy, that way while you are rolling the tape, you would automatically force the air out, :)

K.....Thanks man.......That sounds like a great idea.....are you sure it wont kill my vid card???

-evan

it didnt kill mine...also check that no crystals have formed and dry it very well, if you are still in doubt better check it with someone else before, i am not that god-mod on modisications :)
as i said before just my 2 cents it is something that i tried personally and did it with extreme caution if u check with others it is a technique used to obtain higher clock speeds cause the card would be dead cold, well not literally :)
glad to be of help man

Can anybody find me a overclocking utility for a voodoo 5........I got the one but it was only 90KB........that's way to small to do anything.......Can someone give me a site that has a good voodoo 5 overclocking utility???? thx

-evan

Back