• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink mounting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

Whenever I mount my heatsink, i have this lurking feeling that i mess up my delicately applied thermal interface material. I put it on with a straight edge and get it as thin as I can without seeing the letters through it.

Mizzery said:
Whenever I mount my heatsink, i have this lurking feeling that i mess up my delicately applied thermal interface material. I put it on with a straight edge and get it as thin as I can without seeing the letters through it.

When I first started, this drove me nuts as well. I tried a brand new credit card and no matter how careful I was, I just could not hold it steady enough to get an even layer.

What I ended up doing is putting a plastic sandwich bag over my finger tip and spreading it with that. After test mounting the HSF, I can take it off and I see just a hairline of AS3 squished out evenly around the edges and I can read my stepping codes off of the HSF.

Hope that helps.:D

Back