• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make these drivers work???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celemine1Gig

Hi guys,

I recently bought a new soundcard. It's a Noname(digiSound)soundcard with the CMI 8738 LX-6ch chip which supports 6channel audio.

Then I figured out that Hercules made a card using the exact same chip and Hercules's drivers would sure be better than the reference drivers. I downloaded the right drivers from Hercules(for the Hercules Muse 5.1 DVD), but when I try to install the drivers, it does a hardware search and as it can't find the Hercules Muse 5.1 DVD it just aborts the installation.

Now my question is: How to skip that hardware search or how to extract the drivers from the downloaded install file(it's one .exe file that contains all the drivers). I mean Hercules takes the reference drivers and modifies them a bit, so why shouldn't they work with my card that has the same chip. Hercules only added that hardware search to keep people like me from using their drivers, because they are better than reference. But that tells me that their card isn't better then any other card with that CMI 8738 LX-6ch chip if you use the exact same driver to test them all.

Any ideas??

Thx in advance

Ingo

Ok I have WinXP Pro and Winrar 2.90. By right clicking on the .exe I get this
screen.gif

It unzipped it into it's own little folder

Yes, I know, I know. I use WinAce and I have the exact same option when right clicking on a compatible file, but that file was programmed not to show that option. And if I press shift and then right click and chose "open with" and then select Winace, it doesn't show any files, because the exe was designed to hide the files. It's the exact same problem that appears when you try to open microsofts windows .cab files.

You can try, but I don't think that you'll be able to extract the files easily.;)

But as I said, go on and try, perhaps I'm just too dumb to do it.:D

Thx in advance for your effort!

Have patience my German friend. We'll get it. I'm going to try to attach a file. I have not been successful at this yet but I'll try again.

1st Edit: Alright, that didn't work. I'll upload it to a different server and post the link here. It's a .rar containing a folder with all the files in the exe for win98
2nd Edit:Ok Try This <------ Right click on that link and then choose Save As.

3rd Edit: Ok, that wasen't it. I'll get it.

Last edited:
Well, I just downloaded the file! I'm sorry to say that it didn't get me any further. I already had all these files. The hardware search is programmed into the setup routine, so all I would need is a program that can open the data1.cab and the data2.cab file. These two files contain all the needed driver files!

Thx in advance

Ingo

I have been looking all over for a program that will do that. The problem is that those .cab files were made by InstallShield and are proprietary. Normal cab viewers will not work. I think this is getting into an area we shouldn't go.

Back