• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SBLive!5.1 and Via KT333 problem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

I recently finished my new rig(#1 in sig) and I'm having the SBLive! and via chipset conflict(sound skips, games freeze) everyone else is having. I've tried a million different things, the SBLive! is in PCI slot 3, I set IRQ5 legacy thingy on, bios updates, driver updates, undid my overclock, and weird patches. What I would like to know is what any of you did to fix this problem or if you know anything about the problem, any experts on this kinda stuff here?
It's driving me nuts and I'm going to be recording a friends band soon and If they like what I do it'll become a very profitable experience, so I need to make a good impresion which means getting everything working perfectly.
Thanx a lot for all your help in advance!
If you need more info just ask.
I'm running windows xp pro.

have you tried another PCI slot?
What is your PCI timer set to??? i have sound problems before when i set mine to low (under 8)

Funny to see a problem like this pop up in a KT333 chipset, thought VIA weeded the soundblaster bugs out already :rolleyes:

jay said:
have you tried another PCI slot?
What is your PCI timer set to??? i have sound problems before when i set mine to low (under 8)

Funny to see a problem like this pop up in a KT333 chipset, thought VIA weeded the soundblaster bugs out already :rolleyes:

Me too, I don't know why everyone has had problems with a Via chipset and a SB Live. Mine has worked flawlessly on my Epox and even on my old MSI K7T Turbo w/ the KT133A chipset.

I'd definitely try another PCI slot, your mobo may be picky about which slot the card is in.

Now this is getting nuts. I just took out my sblive!5.1, and reformatted windows xp. I installed all my mobo drivers and guess what? My onboard sound is doing the same thing!!!! Either via sucks more than I thought or I screwed up sumthin in my bios, or windows xp is the biatch. I doubt it is the bios bt I'm gonna restore defaults now and see what happens.

hhmmm? i have the same chipset on a kt3 ultra and the same sound card, my system runs pretty smooth, absolutely no sound skips or lock-ups, i'm also running winxp pro. i'm almost sure you got a defective board, i think those are fequency problems my friend had the same problem he just got his board replaced and the problem was smoked>>>

well, the onboard sound probs wen't away when I reset my bios. I'm gonna set a system restore point now and screw around wih the sblive!5.1 now. If I set a system restore point now will my system be exactly like it was when I set the system restore point? It just backs up the registery and a few other files and restores them, right? Can someone tell me exactly what it really does in winXP?

oh and btw, I know the problem is a conflict is between the sblive! and the via chipset(southbridge part to be exact, I think) because lots of other people have had this problem. I also know its fixable(because others have done it), how is the the hard part cause there are a million different things to try. Like I said before, are there any pros/expects on this type of conflict?

mmm i wonder if just happens on xp have you tried win2000 or 98SE.

if this occurs on different os's i surely the southbridge. you can search for some tweaks to fix it. why don't you just get a replace?

Hmmm, did you install the Via 4in1's? They are suppose to resolve issues w/ the chipset, and before installing them would fix whatever it was they had like crackling, skipping..

Yodums

Yodums said:
Hmmm, did you install the Via 4in1's? They are suppose to resolve issues w/ the chipset, and before installing them would fix whatever it was they had like crackling, skipping..

Yodums

Yes I did, I first Installed the mobo's 4-in-1's then I installed the newest version(4.40 I think is the newest). I'm about to give up and buy a new card, but no cash:(. Have you heard of any other fixes?

I plan to be getting a few hours out of each company's tech support(Asus, Via[do they have tech suppot??], creative) tomorrow, If they can't et me fixed I' gonna raise some heck.

highacker said:
mmm i wonder if just happens on xp have you tried win2000 or 98SE.

if this occurs on different os's i surely the southbridge. you can search for some tweaks to fix it. why don't you just get a replace?

We'll, when I install linux(hopefully tomorrow) I'll do that test.

Last edited:
drunkmonkey said:

Yes I did, I first Installed the mobo's 4-in-1's then I installed the newest version(4.40 I think is the newest). I'm about to give up and buy a new card, but no cash:(. Have you heard of any other fixes?

I plan to be getting a few hours out of each company's tech support(Asus, Via[do they have tech suppot??], creative) tomorrow, If they can't et me fixed I' gonna raise some heck.

We'll, when I install linux(hopefully tomorrow) I'll do that test.

If you turn down your overclock does it stop? Did you reformat, and reinstall at stock?

Yodums said:

If you turn down your overclock does it stop? Did you reformat, and reinstall at stock?

Turning down the OC never helped, I did reformat with the comp oc'ed. I haven't tried the SBLive! since I reformatted yesterday. I'm gonna have to put it on hold though because my mom is getting me to install some UPS shipping software on my comp and the software is notorious for screwin stuff up, once I make sure that doesn't hurt anything I'll go ahead and start screwin around with the sblive! again. I can't believe no one here has gone through this, at other message boards there have been a lot of people with this problem.

Back