• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLK 600 or MCX 462?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaddyB

All through the winter my TT volcano 6cu (with 4500 rpm fan, not the cu+ w/7000 rpm) was great, I never saw a temp above 50c. Of course I had a second 80mm fan on the side of it to keep my temps down...

anyway now summer is here and I dont have AC down here in the basement so my temps have constantly risen as it got warmer out and now im idling at 48c with the side off of my case. Needless to say 48c @ idle is too high and im tired of spending a half hour every week cleaning out all of the animal fur from my fans...

So as the title says what should i get the thermalright slk 600 or the swiftech mcx462? I was set on the slk600 until I read that copper doesnt get rid of heat as fast as aluminum, then i started looking at the swifty (which doesnt look like it will fit on my MoBo but it says it fits all MoBos so Ill take their word 4 it), besides I like the idea of bolting the HSF down rather then the clip. The AX7 is out of the question, Im sure it wont fit on my motherboard. I have already checked the HSF roundup on the front page and it says the slk600 is the way to go but i want some opinions from those w/experience with these sinks.

I really want opinions about these 2, not others. I will be using it with a 50cfm fan rated at 45db not some crazy delta 68cfm or anything (comp is already loud enough). the system is the OC'd xp1800 in my sig... What do you think is better?

i hear there is a slk 800 out there now, i dont know if it is on sale yet bc it isnt on newegg but it is supposed to be like $70 if you dont mind that then you are set seeing that it even blows away the sx7 (i saw the link in the coolng section somewhere, look for it)

DaddyB said:
So as the title says what should i get the thermalright slk 600 or the swiftech mcx462? I was set on the slk600 until I read that copper doesnt get rid of heat as fast as aluminum, then i started looking at the swifty (which doesnt look like it will fit on my MoBo but it says it fits all MoBos so Ill take their word 4 it), besides I like the idea of bolting the HSF down rather then the clip. The AX7 is out of the question, Im sure it wont fit on my motherboard. I have already checked the HSF roundup on the front page and it says the slk600 is the way to go but i want some opinions from those w/experience with these sinks.

If the MCX462 will fit your board, the AX7 will too. What board do you have?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was set on the slk600 until I read that copper doesnt get rid of heat as fast as aluminum, then i started looking at the swifty
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This really doesn't mean much, when you're using it with a high cfm fan like you are.

I have a soltek sl75 drv4. I just saw someone's sig that said they had the drv5 with an ax7 but i dont know if the layout of that board is the same as the drv4. My volcano 6 is 60mm long and there is a capacitor about 3mm away from it so i dont think an 80mm heatsink will fit.

the mcx 462 has cutouts on the corners to allow it to fit most or all motherboards:

MCX462-Uheader.jpg

the mc 462 doesnt have any cutouts and will not fit on a lot of motherboards, I think this one is the same size as the ax7:

sw4622.jpg

Nice avatar DManeKid, I was thinking about the slk 800 but the stor where i was going to buy my HS doesnt have them in stock yet (they were due to arrive friday) and thats over 1 pound of copper... even if it uses all 6 lugs on the socket thats still a lot of weight IMO. I might get it if they have it in stock b4 I order a HS.

After checking some picks, it looks as though an AX-7 will fit on your board... and an Alpha PAL8045 will also.

*edit*I am mistaken. The AX-7 will not fit.*/edit*

Last edited:
thanks for finding that out 4 me. I just came across a review of my board that says it will not fit the mcx462, I dont know if they really mean the mcx462 or the mc462(without the cutouts)... *sigh* (review here)

at least it says on the store's website that it will fit any board so if it doesnt fit mine I can drive down there, complain and exchange it. I think the mcx 462 will fit though (there is a pic of my board (well a board with identicle layout) at the link above). I killed my ol' epox board when a screwdriver slipped trying to put the clip on so i liked the idea of bolting the HSF down.

maybe i should just go with the slk 800 but its so heavy... the mcx 462 and slk 800 cost the same at the store im buying from (84.98 canadian). anybody else have any opinions or any idea if the mcx 462 will actually fit?

yeah i know the slk 800 is really heavy but it is going to be the best you can get with aircooling (and i think for a lonnnngggg time, hehe lets see if thermalright can beat themselves again) i have seen it on 2cooltek.com for $48 american (im pretty sure this was a limited supply so hurry)

Just buy a shim, and you won't have to worry about the weight.
Once again, I apologize for being wrong and causing any confusion.

lol yeah i have never used a shim before maybe i should start since now i have a bad a$$ volcano 7 (lol i need a new hs already, since im not impressed with its preformance, i will prob use its fan tho)

ATLPIMP said:
Just buy a shim, and you won't have to worry about the weight.
Once again, I apologize for being wrong and causing any confusion.

My experience with shims have been less then good. Basically they cause more trouble than they are worth. I'd highly recommend avoiding them.

My experience with shims have been less then good. Basically they cause more trouble than they are worth. I'd highly recommend avoiding them.

even when using this kind of weight?

how heavy is the volcano 7?

Nagorak said:

Care to elaborate?
I've had shims on all my AMD processors. I've had three different makes, and never had a problem.

Back