• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

May try Folding w/Seti again, ?s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Hello Team 32!

I just saw a post saying that one of the newer Folding clients (3.0) allows better selection of cpu priority than the older ones:

I tried a couple of times in the past to Fold while crunching for OC Seti Team and the Folding wu's were expiring time wise, making it pointless to run the FAH client.
I AM NOT GOING TO STOP CRUNCHING at this time, sorry, but I am willing to at least try running both again- if the FAH client can turn in wus in time without impacting Seti too severely, then I am certainly willing to help out Team 32!

But please: no suggestions that I Fold only!
I am looking for suggestions on how to best run both- which FAH client, etc.

Folding

What OS do you have?

The graphical 3.0 client allows for easy access to advanced settings such as the slightly more aggressive priority I mentioned in the other thread by right-clicking the tray icon. Simply install it, give yourself a username and put in team- 32. Check the advanced option for more aggressive priority, and you're done. It'll run as soon as you login automatically and you'll see the tray icon. You'll want to disable the screensaver it automatically chooses in the display settings.

The text-only 3.0 client lets you alter the settings when you 1st run it, and after that I'm not really sure how you make changes, but changes can be made. The text-only client is faster, but runs in a DOS window which you can't close without shutting it off. Give yourself a username, team # is 32, ask permission b4 connecting- no, proxy server- no, set advanced options- yes.

However, if you set all the settings correctly the 1st time and have either win2k or winXP, you can then use the task scheduler to set the task to run "when I turn my computer on". Also uncheck the advanced option in the task scheduler so it doesn't "turn off the task after 72 hours." This will run the folding client automatically even if your computer is on the login screen, and will hide the annoying DOS window.

If you have any trouble, keep posting here. Happy folding and welcome to team 32!

PS- A very useful proggy for monitoring the client should you hide it or wish to know your time/frame and time/WU, is called Electrom Microscope 3. It's available at www.em-dc.com The prog uses very few cpu cycles, can montior several clients on a LAN, keeps a log of WU's done, and is all-around cool.

OK, Arkaine- I've got the text-only going for Team 32 on an AMD TBird900@1100 thanks to you:)

Any ideas on how long the average is for such a cpu? I have data for the Seti times and I'd like to track both, etc..

I didn't get Electron yet, but will do that next.

Any other suggestions, recomendations or any such...let me know!

EDIT: OS is Win2K

Ok, in Task Manager I have FAHCore and FAH3Console: Core is the program whose priority I need to increase, correct? So far Seti still seems to be getting most of the cpu cycles with Seti at low and FAHCore65 at above normal.

Last edited:
I tried this and as much as I would like for you to do both, I found it completely useless to do so. I did manage to get the clients to spit the cycles but the output for each team was horrible.

The best way is to just share a couple of boxes specifically for either client so they don't interfere. You'll get more done that way, trust me. Even on the dually, for example, run FAH on one CPU and SETI on the other.

Hey, Jon: imagine running into you here:D

I've tried before, but thought I'd give it another shot, since I'd like to support both teams.....

If I still can't get it to work, maybe tossing it on the duallie as you say will be the way to go....

In the meantime, I need to pound my head against the wall again first, know what I mean?

Know exactly what you mean. That's why I decided to stop folding until I hit my SETI milestone so I could donate all my rigs to it without all the problems.

I spent the better part of week trying to get the two to play nicely and once I finally did, the result was far from worth it. They don't care for each other at all when on the same machine.

rogerdugans said:
Hello Team 32!

But please: no suggestions that I Fold only!
I am looking for suggestions on how to best run both- which FAH client, etc.

Welcome to fold! :) I read from your sig you've "10ghz of ET finding power for: OCSetiTeam!" If you've multiple rigs, why don't you solve the problem by running Seti on some rigs and Folding on some rigs? Imho it would be the easiest way.

It would be the easiest way....and I usually have to do things the hard way at least 2 or 3 times before I give up:eek:

And this being the third time I have tried running both clients simultaneously on a single cpu system to no avail, I think I am about to give up!

I checked a few minutes ago and almost no prgress folding and the Seti wu time is only a bit behind normal.
So I stopped the FAH Client.

Too late tonight, but I am going to try to get the client running on one cpu in my duallie tomorrow- I'll try that for a few days and see how it goes.

The reason I am reluctant to switch one whole rig over completely: Seti is the project that first got my attention and the team here is great.

Not to say Team 32 isn't great too: that is why I have tried and tried again to get things to cooperate.

Back