• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hoot chute dimmer causing EMI?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adamu

I got my hoot chute set up yesterday and have had only one problem with it so far. It's the Dayton 134 CFM AC version with a 3 speed ceiling fan speed controller on it. When I change the speed of the fan or turn it on my dad's computer speakers pop and crackle in the other room. This also happens to my speakers. The blower also seems louder at the highest speed setting than it did when I was testing it out without the controller. Is this caused by EMI? The only controllers I could find at Home Depot did not have EMI suppresion. Also is there any type of ceiling fan speed controller that can be adjusted like a rheostat (not just preset speeds)? Thanks for the help. :)

Any mechanical switch under load will create sparks and thus all kinds of emi. Generally the 3 speed (quiet ) ceiling fan controls are 2 different size capacitors in line with the motor. They do sell variable speed controls for ceiling fans, sometimes they make the motor hum. Try different brands, may find one that doesn’t. :( Try plugging your current setup into it’s own surge suppressor strip should help if the emi is being broadcast through the house wiring.

Light dimmers can work but they are designed for resistive not inductive loads and have no low speed limit. (motor can stall out going to slow) But this said it MIGHT just work for your set up, then again it could produce other kinds of emi mayhem.

That said, call a local electrical contractor and see if they have any used controls they would sell cheap.

Using a variable speed control cannibalized from a vent hood controling a 80cfm blower from a bathroom vent, very quiet. :)

Back