• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc'ing issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DManeKid

look at my sig i have the fsb at 105 stable so that gives me 1g and i have been able to get it up to 110 fsb (yeah i know really wimpy) but then i get graphic artifacts in games what am i doing wrong??? (and any higher i cant even load windows) the temps while i do this are at 40-42°C (usually 40, this isnt when i just start it up this is after having it run for a half an hour) that isnt to high right? i also think that i would be able to keep it at default vcore but i had to up it a but (.025, i think) so i didnt get any artifacts...this is making me very ****ed, oh and btw i am not using as3 yet and im not going to unlock it until i get the as3 (since i dont want to take off the hsf unless i have to) and i also dont know the stepping

Last edited:
I think you need to up the vcore a bit more, given your temps you should be able to handle at least 1.8V if not more.

i have put the vcore the highest it can go (1.85) and still wont work, the chipset is kt266a

btw i have fixed my artifacts problem, i put the ram down to 100mhz and now everyhting (graphicly) is fine, it is now at 9.5x114 @ 1.78v=1083mhz i wanted at least 116mhz just so i could say i have a 1.1g lol, i have tried it at 115 and it crashes when running 3dmark and at 116 it doesnt run windows (win98 original if it matters) both were at 1.85v! whats going on?

Last edited:
ok i have it up to 133mhz (my ram) now and it works fine (it was actually the fact that i didnt have the v sync on) is upping the fsb 14mhz a good oc? no right?

At your 115 MHz bus setting, did you try upping the voltage to the RAM by a tenth or two, to see if that allowed any more stability in Windows? I'd look to upgrade Windows with your next hardware upgrade too;) Unlock the chip and lower the multiplier and > the FSB. Come back and post the results. I'm curious if what's holding you back is related to FSB issues (RAM, Periphials, PSU, e.t.c) or the CPU just won't take it. I got a feeling it's the CPU. If you can increase the FSB (w/ a lower multiplier) w/o stability issues, then the finger points to your Tbird. The average overclock for your chip is 1080 MHz. This info is take directly from Overclockers.com database.

- PC

sorry dude no upping voltage for my ram (the 1 thing my board cant do)

i think my bios might be lying to be a bit so im gunna get better airflow for my case (i want to get one of those pci fans, a new fan for my nb and for my vid card...then ill be happy i bet...i dont really care about the cpu clock anymore it prefforms fine enough)

(Just trying to make sure I have this straight right now)So, you have your cpu at a 133fsb right now? If so, then it's probably something with your pci/agp divider. If it won't work correctly at 110fsb but will at 133, then it's probably because your pci/agp divider auto-switches when your fsb hits 133. This is a pretty common feature. For example, when you're at 100fsb, your pci divider is at 1/3 making them run at 33mhz. Then when you go to 110, your pci is now running at 37mhz. Not a big increase, but it could very well be that something in your system simply can't handle even that much of an increase. But, when you bumped it up to 133, the mobo might have automatically changed the divider to 1/4 making the pci bus run at 33mhz again. If this is the case, then I'd take 1 component out of the system at a time until it runs ok. If nothing changes, try getting a hold of a different video card(long shot but it's possible).

nope sorry but like i said my ram is a 133mhz (266 ddr, its normal speed) im stuck at 114 fsb and i have no idea what my dividers are or where they happen so does any1 know that either?

also i have no pci cards in my system

well im using a 950 mhz tbird...do the stepping stay the same for all mhz models? if not then we have a different problem...i need to get my damn asIII so i can find out the stepping! lol i cant even get that high of a oc and you are 50 mhz lower!...also i can onlt get my vcore up to 1.85 (it goes up to 1.87 sometimes for a few seconds)

Doesn't the 1/4 divider kick in at 120?

That's what I thought anyway. Maybe try lowering your multiplier and getting it to 120 and if your multiplier changes @120 then everything should run smooth. Then from there you can slowly incres higher. Or your stepping could just be bad as they said.

However it could be your mem and probably is. You can find out about your dividers by reading your manual or just searching through your bios until you find some info on it. If you don't have manual I am pretty sure you can download.

Goodluck

i have a antec smartpower 400w and i thought that i had good ram for ocing, i have looked around my bois and didnt see anything about dividers but it might be in my manual (i didnt look too hard in my bios though)

Back