• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid questions:Fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

litghost

One:Which is the best direction of airflow through a heat sink in or out, in theory?

Two:If a fan is rated to 5700 RPM (Delta 38x38x80mm) and Asus Probe reads it at 5200 RPM is there a problem and does it matter? In other words can you speed it up and will the do any thing?

Three is really not related but: Do you keep your room around 19 C for the comp because my room is aprox. 27 C and my case is running at 35 C? (I'm working on the air flow to get that lower, minus the door panel it's 31 C)

1- Best way is to try and see which way works best for your setup. Two of my systems have the fans blowing on the heatsink, while the one system works better with the fan sucking air off of it. You'll never never know till you try.

2- The motherboard is most likely reading correctly. Resistance through the circuit is probably causing the fan to spin slower than what it's normally rated at. You can try buying an adaptor to plug the fan directly onto one of your 12V rails. This may or may not speed it up. te only problem is that they rarely come withthe lead to connect to the MB to read the speed of the fan.

3- I'm assuming that by "case" you mean your northbridge temperature. You can lower this temperature by increasing airflow through the case, and/or replacing the chipset cooler with a better one such as a Blue Orb, or something simmilar.

litghost said:
One:Which is the best direction of airflow through a heat sink in or out, in theory?

Two:If a fan is rated to 5700 RPM (Delta 38x38x80mm) and Asus Probe reads it at 5200 RPM is there a problem and does it matter? In other words can you speed it up and will the do any thing?

Three is really not related but: Do you keep your room around 19 C for the comp because my room is aprox. 27 C and my case is running at 35 C? (I'm working on the air flow to get that lower, minus the door panel it's 31 C)

What heatsink do you have? Most heatsinks will be better off blowing, however if your heatisnk is made by Alpha, it's most likely better off sucking.

No the bearings may get worn out over time, you can see if adding some oil to it will speed it back up.

Well I don't know many people that do that, or any but they try to focus on the ratio of room temp : case temp. What kind of cooling are you using? It should be only 2-3 degrees above ambient even with the panels on.

forced air two intake fans in front
one outtake in back+psu
working on installing another outtake
oh and the heatsinks an Alpha PAL 8045

litghost said:
forced air two intake fans in front
one outtake in back+psu
working on installing another outtake
oh and the heatsinks an Alpha PAL 8045

OK First thing I would try is put it to sucking if it's not. Then if you see any performance, try removing the first intake to becoming an exhaust as it is sucking, and hope the intake holds off. Take the intake that pushes the lower cfm, unless they're the same.

so the cpu fan to suck
and one of the front to suck (same fans side by side

Back