• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroichaos

*sorry for posting here if it is the wrong forum*

I am running a Pentium-166 Mhz PC with 32MB RAM and Windows 95 (Pathetic isn't it) and I am trying to get into the Bios... I wanna see how high i can try to overclock this thing... but I have a problem... I can't seem to get into the BIOS... I tried hitting the Delete key when my computer started up... I tried hitting F2 (friend told me it might be that) and i can't seem to get to it... Any help is appreciated.

Generally you hit the delete key right as the motherboard is posting the CPU and RAM status, but it could also be F2 or sometimes F8 or one of the other F keys depending on make and model of mobo. Some motherboards will tell you which key to hit and you may have to hit it several times in order to get into the bios.

hope this helps

Nope i just tried all of them... i can't seem to figure it out... i just hope there is someone who can...

what kind of computer is it?
Many OEMs only let you in the BIOS on a cold boot .,..
IBM would be one such company, and F1 to get in thier BIOS.

:eek:Really:eek:, i have an IBM Aptiva... But i have tried it many times... F1 takes you to the set-up utility... and i see no where where I can increase the FSB...

You will probably not be able to change the FSB in the bios on that old IBM but the good news is that P-166 has an unlocked multiplier. You can generally change the multiplier by changing jumpers or adjusting the position of dip switches on the motherboard.

If you need help identifying what to change give us all the info you have or check your manual if you still have it.

Ok, I'm gonna try to find my manual but most likely im gonna need your help... I'm probably just gonna take a few pic's of the inards of my comp... as i have no clue on what to look for...

no problem...and if you can find the make and model of your motherboard or even your computer perhaps we can find an online manual for it maybe even on IBM website

If your board looks like the picture below then click on the link http://www.qdius.com/products/430vx250.htm and then click on the link for jumper settings from there. You will want to change the miltiplier to 3X and make sure its set for 66FSB rather than 60 to hit 200 otherwise 3x with 60FSB will get you 180

good luck. I'll check back later tonight to see how your doing

I checked the pictures of all the 430vx motherboards and none of them look like mine... they all have a lot more PCI slots too... lemme get a pic of what the inside looks like...

****EDIT
insidepc.jpg

********Edit 2
I know the picture isn't very good... i just wanted to give you an idea of what it looks like. I think i found the place for the jumper but i don't have a jumper plastic thingy...

Last edited:
perhaps a closer picture or diagram would help out a bit. Or else you may want to do a bit more research until you find a board that matches yours. Try searching individually using all of the different serial numbers you can find on your board until you find a closer match

Unfortunately the jumper position is not shown in the diagram, got any others? The jumper is the small plastic thing that connects 2 pins together on the motherboard. there may be several sets of jumpers on the board. You can also find jumpers on the back of IDE devices like hard drives and CD-ROM drives. There is generally a diagram near the important jumpers on the board. Sometimes the trick is just reading the diagram correctly.

oh yeah and I never said WELCOME TO THE FORUM :D

Thx for the welcome and uhh... i have a question... maybe i should have asked this first... im not sure but which one is the motherboard again i have a strong feeling (i don't know why im asking...) that it is the one in this picture+ what is behind the other thing...
motherboard2.jpg

Or is it just the part circled in this picture...
motherboard1.jpg

Your motherboard is the big green thing in the back of the case that all of your card plug into like your video and sound stuff like that. With an older board like that the muti and FSB will be printed in white also after u oc make sure theres enough air from the fan to keep it cool try not to fry your chip

also read the chart and u just have to move the jumpers and u wont need ne plastic things there already there u just have to move them around.

Thx for the info... but the thing that all my cards plug into doesn't have jumpers in it... But that chip plugs into another one...

The thing that the processor and memory plug into is the motherboard. In your case the thing the cards plug into is the riser card. This is generally only found in older boards

Look around on your board for a white chart that has the FSB and muti settings they most likely have a letter and a number on the top saying which jumper goes with each setting, then you can look for that number next to the correct jumper and those are the jumpers that you use to overclock your machine.

Back