• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooking neurons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

compuchick

Registered
Clear case == cooking neurons?

Perhaps this demonstrates how little I actually know about computer hardware, but what is "EM"? Is it electromagnetic radiation that is emitted by the components when the computer is running?

I need to know because I fell in love with a Lucite clear case (made by clearpc.ca). But one site mentions that "NOTE: This display unit is made from plastic materials, rather than metal, which means that it is not EM shielded." What problems can occur?

thanks!

//compuchick

Last edited:
Anything that is EM sensitive (radios, speakers, tv's, monitors...) and close to your case would be affected to some extent. Depending on how much your computer radiates, its proximity to the appliance, and how much non-metal shielding there is (walls, desks, carpets...) you might get kinda fuzzy sounds and slightly wavering pictures, or white noise and color distortion.

Your computer can also be prone to wierdness from any electronics (especially electrical motors) nearby to it. Think of a metal computer case as a shield (which is basically what it is). The case helps keep out any stray signals, or large EM pulses from reaching the sensitive innards (cpu, mem, hard drives, etc). Some problems which can occur (although rare in this day and age) is your computer powering up on its own, random reboots, random program crashes, and in the worst cases, corrupt data on hard drives. But the modern pc equipment is made to high standards, and even with a full plastic case, sould have next to no problems resulting from EM interference. Unless of course you put your case right next to your fridge.:beer:

Back