• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with overclocking an IT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sluggo

Hi there, I'm about to buy an IT7 and I'm looking for some tips on overclocking it. I'm not really up to speed with this stuff, so please bear with me. The last time I tried o/c, all I did was adjust the fsb, and maybe the cpu voltage.

Now it looks like you can adjust the fsb, cpu voltate, PCI bus, memory speed, memory voltage, and some other memory settings.

First, the PCI bus. I don't want to touch this really, at least not at first. Does this mean I can "lock the fsb/pci", as I've read about?

Secondly, some memory questions. What do people mean when they refer to 2/6/3/3 at SPD, what are these numbers?
If I have an 845E chipset, what type of ram should I get? I think I'd like to either get good quality PC2100 ram or PC2700 ram. Locally, Micron/Samsung CL2.5 PC2100 is priced well and readily available: how well received is this type of ram? Without memory overclocking, I would run the PC2100 at 266, correct? Or if I had the PC2700, I would change the memory bus speed from 333 to 266? For modest fsb o/c, will name brand ram work fine, or is it critical that a person gets the more expensive types? For example, I can try and get CL2 PC2100 Infineon.

It sounds like if I increase the fsb, I will have to fine-tune the ram settings, correct? But I don't have to overclock the ram though, right?

thanks,
sluggo

answers

The Abit IT7 is a great board , i got the it7max version. I dont think there will be no performance diffrence in it7 and it7max.

First, the PCI bus. I don't want to touch this really, at least not at first. Does this mean I can "lock the fsb/pci", as I've read about?

yeah you can lock the pci and agp. This is great feature if you are going to overclock. If you lock the pci and agp , you can change the cpu fsb without changing the pci and agp clock.

ext clock (cpu/agp/pci) = 166/66/33
Pci Bus Frequency PCI 33 Fixed

Secondly, some memory questions. What do people mean when they refer to 2/6/3/3 at SPD, what are these numbers?
If I have an 845E chipset, what type of ram should I get? I think I'd like to either get good quality PC2100 ram or PC2700 ram. Locally, Micron/Samsung CL2.5 PC2100 is priced well and readily available: how well received is this type of ram? Without memory overclocking, I would run the PC2100 at 266, correct? Or if I had the PC2700, I would change the memory bus speed from 333 to 266? For modest fsb o/c, will name brand ram work fine, or is it critical that a person gets the more expensive types? For example, I can try and get CL2 PC2100 Infineon.

It sounds like if I increase the fsb, I will have to fine-tune the ram settings, correct? But I don't have to overclock the ram though, right?

I advice you to get name brand ram , samsung pc2700 is great to have. Then you can overclock without worrying about the ram , because you have to overclock the ram according to cpu fsb , ,

example : if you set cpu fsb to 150 , you have to atleast run the memory in 150fsb , 1:1. So it is better to have a good memory stick with higher clock rate...so the pc2700 is the best choice...

see my other posts about it7 in this forum....

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102873

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102164

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abit IT7MAX
Intel Pentium 4 1.6NW (MALAY CPU) overcloked to 2.663
FSB 166
Twinmos 512mb PC2700 DDRAM
2x40GB Maxtor Ata133 HD RAID0 STRIPE SET
120GB Western Digital HD Special Edition
Gainward GF4 PowerPack! Ultra/750XP Golden Sample Overclocked 320/740
Chieftec Dragon Midi Tower
Enermax 450 PS