• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some Motherboard Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jspam

Im building a new system for my Aunt. I want to get her a board that will last for a while, but doesn't cost too much ($50-$85). I usually stick with Asus, but for this system I'm open to suggestions.

The board needs to support an Athlon XP 2200+ and PC2700 memory.

Thanks a bundle.

Woah, wait a minute.... You are buying a 2200+ and PC2700 and skimping on a mobo? Bad idea. The mobo will bottleneck the ram and XP. If anything, downgrade the XP to a 2000 or lower and spend the extra dough on a good mobo. You need to give us more info, however. Will you be overclocking it for her? Features already on board or are you gonna add everything you need on to it through PCI and AGP slots? Thanks.

Im actually going to go with an XP1800. Im OK with onboard sound, but dont want onboard video. Im not going to be overclocking. ATA133 isnt a big deal. We just want to keep the price under $85.

So far I've looked at these boards: Asus A7S333, Epox EP-8K3A, BioStar M7VIF, MSI 745 Ultra, and the MSI KT3 Ultra.

I have all the necessary components to build this system. I just need a motherboard suggestion.

Last edited:
jspam said:
Im actually going to go with an XP1800. Im OK with onboard sound, but dont want onboard video. Im not going to be overclocking. ATA133 isnt a big deal. We just want to keep the price under $85.

So far I've looked at these boards: Asus A7S333, Epox EP-8K3A, BioStar M7VIF, MSI 745 Ultra, and the MSI KT3 Ultra.

I have all the necessary components to build this system. I just need a motherboard suggestion.

Hm.... In that case I'd chose Epox or Asus. They are great performers, and won't let you down. (you even have the option to overclock later if you want).

i would go with the epox or the msi, the asus mobos are very reliable but have lots of jumper, if your not an expieranced builder this will be a tough mobo to set up.:D

yes the a-bit mobos are rock solid, my friend and i just build one for him and it is running great, but i dont know if a-bit sells a mobo in the price range he is looking for. if so then the a-bit would be another good choice:burn:

Right now im leaning toward the Asus. I will probably order it in a few days unless somebody changes my mind. Thanks for the help.

I think you guys are going way overboard for overclocking components when it's going to be at stock. In this case, I recommend the ECS K7S5A. It supports the Athlon XP series, a stable stock board, supports both SDR and DDR. And it's 55.00, what a deal eh? It's an ok board for mild overclocking as well if you want to squeeze a tiny bit out of there. The other boards are expensive since they kick in when your really overclocking. In this case it is at stock.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=112

There's a review for you.

Back