• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7-II wont post. long beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dognbone

Hi

BD7II wont post, looping long beep. Removed all apart from CPU
The Phoenix codes dont list a repeating lond beep code.

Any ideas before i remove cpu.

Thanks

My IT7 mobo did the same. The POST code LED display showed error "A7", which according to Abit is due to a RAM problem. I was using a 512Mb stick of Corsair PC3000 which should be a good stick according to reviews. BTW, if I cleared the CMOS, my board would start up. However after doing this a few times, the board wouldn't start under any circustance. I've RMA'ed my mobo and should be getting it's replacement back soon. Maybe I'll get to the bottom of the problem without having to send the second board back.

I had a similar problem when I began to build computers. Try unmounting the motherboard and making sure there are no extra mounting screws left underneath. They short out the motherboard. Also, boot up with a video card, ram and cpu. Also, did you forget thermal paste, possibly?

My mobo ran flawlessly for maybe a week. My troubles began once I started overclocking the unit. Seems each time I overclocked it, if I shut it down it would not cold boot. I bet if I'd restarted it instead of shutting it down, gone in the bios and turned it back down to default, the machine would have never given a minutes worth of trouble. But I was too stubborn to do that. My thoughts being, "Abit is known for their overclocking friendliness. If they condone it, implement it into their mobos, then I shouldn't catch any grief from them for using it." Shame the board didn't like overclocking as much as they/I do.

Try the insert button

Had similiar problems but I read up in the manual *hint hint* and try the insert button as soon as you switch the power on .. it defaults the memory to 100mhz bus.. sure beats getting into the case and pulling out the cmos battery hehe.

Thanks for the input

Ive tried the system with video/ram/cpu andi get the same looping long beeps.
So all im left with at the moment is the cpu, (with ASIII) and a heat sink.
Yes I have reset the cmos, its a P4B so the default 100 clock should be fine.
The only other indication? is the power on green led, next to it is a red one. When the system is fired up this red led comes on, along with the green power on led.
Cant find anything in the manual about the leds.

Cheers

The long looping beeps on the BD7-II is a ram error. Try setting memory to less agressive timings or slower speeds, Are you at 3:4, 1:1, 4:3? My Crucial craps out at just over 180 so anything avbove 140fsb and I have to use the 1:1. Have you increased the voltage to the ram?

As for having to remove the CMOS battery, there is a jumper to clear the CMOS. Unfortunatley on the BD7-II it is way too close to the AGP socket to get big fingers in to it easily. It is amazing what a 3 pin plug out of an old Packard Bell, 8" of wire, and a SPDT toggle switch from Radio Shack can do to remedy the problem. Don't even have to remove the side. Just flick the switch mounted on the back and "taadaa", instant cleared CMOS for those all too frequent o/c'ing miscalculations.

Im getting the beeps even without any ram onboard.
Ive tried the ram in all slots anyway.

This is becoming a pain.

Thanks

Did you check to make sure the "clock multiplier" is set to the right setting. It doesn't seem to read it off the cpu like an AMD. I have to manually set mine to 16x. When CMOS is cleared it goes back to 8x.

Fixed it

The long beep indicated ram problems.

Thanks for all your input.

Back