• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp1800 needs some decent air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

james.miller

ive got a xp1800 and im gonna overclock this baby as far as i can while i wait for the barton.

whats tha best h/s and fan combo to put on the chip, aswell as the case fans.

i currently have a bog-standard coolmaster fan on the processor
80mm coolmaster at the front bottom of the case and a stock 80mm at the middle-rear

temps are currently 43-45c idle and around 51 underload

appreciate any help guys

EDIT* wohoo look guys. i've got two stars now!!!! YEEEESSSS!!!!

heatsink

AX-7 with a high volume 80mm fan- any fan with 48 or more cfm...

definatly gonna watercool it,but not untill ive got the money for it.im just looking for the best air-cooling till i get that barton (mmmmmmm barton)

This fan at least. Works anywhere between 20 and 76 CFM. The SLK-800 Heatsink. I would suggest the Tornado, but I have yet to see a third party inline thermal sensor that'll do more than 2.5W.

Save yourself the trouble, I hear the smart fans suck. I'd get a nice fan, like a Mechtronics, Sunon, Panaflo, Delta, any of those, then if it is too loud, get a mini rheostat. The mini rheostats are like $20, and can control all your case fans as well.

sound more like it.i want the best cooling that i can get without it being to loud.isnt there just some big fat heat sink that i can slap i nice big (quiet) fan on?

Well, that heatsink should drop it to around 34-37. I still like that fan, though, since when You actually here it, you know somethings wrong!!!

hhmm.its a tuff decision really.there should really be a poll about this.that way we could really find out what h/s and fan worked best by asking what temp people are getting.what do you admins think?

james.miller said:
hhmm.its a tuff decision really.there should really be a poll about this.that way we could really find out what h/s and fan worked best by asking what temp people are getting.what do you admins think?

It would be hard to find someone with the same exact mobo, CPU, and heatsink to do the comparisons. You know, otherwise you get variables which could throw off the temps a lot.

Maybe if one person had an AX-7/PAL8045, they could collect popular fans from someone and run tests.

Back