• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which graphix card to buy for a 1.2GHz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Lansing

I'm gonna buy a Tbird 200fsb 1.2GHz and planning to o/c bout 1.4 and my main reason is for gaming, music, internet
here are my specs:
AMD Tbird 1.2Ghz (200FSB)
Asus A7V133
Tonicom PC166 256MB ram
Quantum 20G harddrive
Creative SBL digital out
Creative CDRW 121032
Enermax 350 or 450watt power supply
Sony Floppy Drive
I'm planning to buy an Asus V7700 GF2 GTS PureI just wanna ask everybody comments on what graphix card to buy. i wanna get at lease GTS level and cheap as well

P.S Pls tell me what power supply is enough for me??
i want it safe should i use a 350 or 450watt powa supply???

350w will be fine! I would buy a cheaper card to start with maybe a Geforce2 that way it will still run games in 2years and you won't pay an arm and a leg for a G3 which would be sweet but a little pricey. if you play UT then v5 all the way :)

well for that processing speed u should get a GeForce3 which will actually have to work if u use a 1.2 Ghz

I've got a similar system to you and went with a Leadtek Geforce2 Ultra for under $245 shipped from newegg.com. Its spec'd at 250 core/460 mem but I overclocked it to 250/530. IMO, it is very well matched for a fast CPU like a Tbird running at 1.4+. Anything slower and your video card will be holding you back.

I don't know much about the V5 with UT but I installed the UT high-resolution compressed textures & switched from Direct3D to OpenGL rendering and I get 80+ fps in heavy deathmatch at 1600x1200, 32 bit color, high quality everything and 3D audio. The V5500 seems to be about half the price of my GF2 Ultra so if it can perform anywhere near my Ultra then go for it. Remember, the voodoo cards are somewhat unsupported at this time.

With that power, I would highly recommend a Geforce 3 if you have the money. You get a Visiontek for about $340 and have a card that will support games into next year. If you dont have that much then get a Geforce 2 Ultra.

Len (Jun 28, 2001 11:07 a.m.):
I've got a similar system to you and went with a Leadtek Geforce2 Ultra for under $245 shipped from newegg.com. Its spec'd at 250 core/460 mem but I overclocked it to 250/530. IMO, it is very well matched for a fast CPU like a Tbird running at 1.4+. Anything slower and your video card will be holding you back.

I don't know much about the V5 with UT but I installed the UT high-resolution compressed textures & switched from Direct3D to OpenGL rendering and I get 80+ fps in heavy deathmatch at 1600x1200, 32 bit color, high quality everything and 3D audio. The V5500 seems to be about half the price of my GF2 Ultra so if it can perform anywhere near my Ultra then go for it. Remember, the voodoo cards are somewhat unsupported at this time.

Len
I have the same card and a AMD 1200/266, can you give me your specs on the card and CPU so I have a idea where to go, I OC to 1350 and I was having a hard time starting my comp.

I'd say get a Radeon LE and wait for the Radeon 2 to hit the market. When it does, two things will happen, #1) a great new card will be out that will likely destroy the GF3 in performance, #2) The GF3 will go down in price DRASTICALLY.

The Radeon will tide you over until the R2 comes out in a month or so.

The Radeon 64 DDR is what I chose for the card to replace my V5 5500. I wanted faster and smoother game play in 32bit color. I have yet to hear anything bad about the card.

Back