• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why won't this XP 2100 cool down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratherb sleddin

Registered
my brother has just bought a XP 2100 with the standard fan and heatsink he knows he needs a better one but don't have the cash right now. Anyway he has taken his entire case apart and put his house box fan blowing right in his case, (this is a big fan). He still can not get the thing to run under 60c idle and near 70c full load it becomes unstable until he lets it cool for a while. In his bios it say that it is at 1.73v core and he can't lower that at all he can raise it butr not lower it. he is using arctic silver 3 paste also.

Is this a Palomino 2100 or a Thuroughbred? The high speed T-Breds are hotter than their Palomino counterparts, but I didn't know it could be that high.

What's your ambient temp? Did you use a huge glob of AS3 or just a little? (You should make the layer as thin as possible)

It does sound like a heatsink problem alright--or possibly too much or too little thermal paste. Make sure the HS is attached firmly and is making good contact.

what kind of mobo is it. Could temp report wrong? What is the ambient temp? How is the mounting goes. Do not spill too much AS3 on the chip. what is that standard sink and fan? did he buy a retail one? how did he mount the heatsink? is is level and touch the core everywhere? Is there any chip on the cpu? Did he lab the heatsink?

If no answer on those questions then you need Watercool, head to Classifies Cooling parts I have some there

Good luck

Doesn't matter on the mobo; even if it reads on-die, 60c would still be very high.

Make sure you apply a razor thin/paper thick layer of Arctic Silver/thermal paste. If you are using thermal paste, get some Arctic Silver 3.

And like the others said, what is ambient and case temps...

mines 60c/44c OUCH OUCH OUCH stupid summer heat.... just couple weeks ago it was at 40C-55c wtf happen damn heat.... makes me think why didn't i go for the p4....

he did buy a retail fan and HS. I'm not shure on the Tbrd or pal he just got it about 3 weeks ago his mobo is a gigabite will have to find out wich one their newest I think. he has tried twice with more and less AS3 and he is getting the reading in the bios. I think his ambiant temp is around 35c to 40c does his vcore sound high?

I know my HS fan combo is better I have a thermalright sk-6 with a 60mm delta but my Vcore is at 2.03 on my 1400 athalon @1600 and on full load it only runs at 45c tops. does the HS and fan realy make that much of a differance? with mine at stock Vcore and mhz mine runs right at 32c to 35c at 1.85 Vcore his is only running at 1.73 Vcore and is at 65c by the time he hits windows.

If a HS doesn't make good contact with the cpu(whether it's because of a rough surface, tilted, placed on incorrectly, or thermal paste applied incorrectly) it doesn't matter how good a HS is, your temps will be high--that's why we're telling you that something is wrong with your bro's HS.

I know it is very important I am not stupid but come on the differance between our temps are amazing I told him to lap it but he didn't have any fine paper.

ratherb sleddin said:
I know it is very important I am not stupid but come on the differance between our temps are amazing I told him to lap it but he didn't have any fine paper.

Didn't mean to offend you.

Also, you must remember, the XP's run a bit hotter than Tbirds.

msmasitti said:

Didn't mean to offend you.

Also, you must remember, the XP's run a bit hotter than Tbirds.

No they don't. =\ XP's have a larger die and also put out about 5 watts less heat than 1.3-1.4G T-Birds. T-breds are hotter than T-birds, but Palominos are cooler than both (per square mm).

Just wanted to set things straight. =)

Is this a 2100 T-bred we're talking about, or a Palomino?

I just bought an XP1800+ retail and decided to put the stock heatsink on. At load it was reading 60 degrees and at idle 55. I do know how to lap and install a heatsink properly. What my problem is is the heat. It has been in the 110 to 115 degrees fahrenheit (too lazy to convert over to celcius). I then put an AX-7 on with my 50 cfm Sunon and it went down to 55 load and 50 at idle. Of course I am using probe because MBM 5 doesn't work on the A7V333. I know temps are usually a little higher for ASUS probe but I wasn't used to a temp that high since my main computer is a P41.6 @ 2.2 it reads 42 at full load and 35 idle.

Since this heatwave everyone has had their temperatures go alot higher. It looks like his ambient temp is pretty high. Also Amd's HSF is not of the highest quality.

Check the HS ranking on the main page and see for yourself how appalingly low the AMD stock sink ranks. You can do a lot better by investing in a cheap but much better HS.

A random pick: Akasa silver mountain for less than 25 USD.

ratherb sleddin said:

Go to the local Auto paint supply and get some 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper. Shouldn't cost more than $6, its alot cheaper than a tosted CPU.

Also make sure the clips are on correctly.

I believe that the summer heat wave is the best time to test the cooling abilties of those HSF.

My ambient 30+ too

before summer, I have been reporting temps of 40 degree + for my intel cpu and ppl say it is too high. Oh now I see people getting higher temps than I do and I further reduced this 40 + temp to 30+ . This is VERY near to ambient. i just love it. It gives me room to overclock.

the ultimate cooler.my cpu is cooled by the Tt volcano 7+. At high ambient temps, it just performs better than that AX7

its either a Heatsink issue, maybe bad contact or not enough clamp pressure. Or to little thermal pst or maybe even too much.

Or maybe the mobo reports high temps

Back