• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To shim or not to Shim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Batman@

Well, I will be getting my athlon xp 1600 very very soon, and I need to know, how hard is it to get the ax-7 without cracking the core? I've only put one hsf on a AMD chip b4, a regular hsf for a duron. Would I need a shim? Better to or not?

only if you have a heatsink that does not use the pads on your cpu. other than that i have never had a problem with any heatsink. also skl800 is a better heatsink for the money

when i put my Dragon Orb 3 on my Duron i thought i was going to crush the core. i ordered a XP1600 yesterday and i got a shim with it, i don't want to crush a new proc. and it was only $5 so i think it's worth it.

If you're careful and take your time, you will have absolutely no problem putting your AX7 on. Don't be intimidated by it's size! position it carefully, lock the first half of the retention clip down, then carefully, while applying steady but gentle pressure, push the other side down w/ a screwdriver (make sure the blade fits in the little slot nice and snug; don't want it slipping out) until you can clip it over the other lugs. Done!

You can get a shim if you like, but by just being careful and not rushing anything, you'll have no problems.

Uhm, i've have heard so many horror stories about Shims. If they bend just a little, it cracks your CPU. If i were you, just test it out, put the Heatsink on w/ out your CPU in, if you think your going to break it take it to a computer shop, after all after you examine it for about 30 minutes, you'll figure it out.

When you put it together, make sure your clip is ALWAYS TOWARDS YOUR RAM. If not you will damage your CPU.

AX7 is very easy to install. you dont need a shim.

just make sure you have a small enough flathead to fit in the little slot or there will be hell to pay getting that thing in...

a trick i figured out is once you get the first clip in, push your thumb on it to ensure it is in place and then while you have your thumb on it install the other end.

shims can actually hurt the heatsink performance. some shims rais the heatsink up so it barly touchs the core making it hotter than normal

The AX7 installs very easy with the mobo out of your case. It install fairly easy with the case open and on its side but if your a little skechy I would just take the ten min. and remove your mobo.

Back