• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can a radeon capture 640x480 at 30fps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BboySkid

Registered
hey my buddy is into capturing, dont know why, but he wanted me to find out if it could. on the site it says it can do a little bit more but he wants to know real world experience before he buys the card.
any input would be greatly appreciated, or suggestions for another card with this capability

I have never personally captured with a radeon card, however, I have friends who are into video production and they use the all-i-wonder and get higher capture rates than 640x480. They appear to be the real deal.

yeah my friend already has that card but he says he cant capture at 640x480 30 fps
is there anything else he could change to make it run as good as your friends

like cpu speed or ram, or maybe overclocking the card? or even the fsb a little bit?
thanks for the response thought no one would be able to help!

Capturing is all in the CPU. The Radeon does not have hardware MPEG or AVI compression despite the fact that an MPEG DEcompressor is built into the card. To capture at 30 fps in multimedia center tell him to set the capture format to either MPEG 1 or MPEG 2. Then under advanced options specify to capture "I frames only". This results in less compressed files, but he should be able to capture at 30 fps (he should be using 29.97 if he's capturing NTSC television) as long as he has at least a 666 MHz Celeron. The faster, the better, obviously.

If he wants to capture to fully compressed MPEG w/IBP compression, then I honestly don't know how fast his comp needs to be. Maybe if he didn't max out the motion prediction slider he could do it with a 600 MHz P3... 1 GHz+ would most likely be better...

If he wants to permanently save stuff for later viewing, he should just record in barely compressed MPEG-1 and then compress it to MPEG-4 using either Flask MPEG or Virtual Dub. MPEG-4 takes a while to compress (DO NOT TRY TO DO IT IN REAL TIME), but it has great quality for its low size (perfect for burning to CD-ROM).

Back