• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you use your own DSL Modem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most likley. It depends greatly on your service, though. An internal would probably come wiht PPoE software, since its a commonly used protocol. Again, you have to check with your DSL service provider.

Definitely check with your DSL provider.

I have 2 totally different DSL modems and they both work with PacBell. BUT, the older one works on the second set of phone wires and the newer one works on the primary set or the set your telephone is hooked up to.

Any DSL modem will work with any ISP but you have to configure the modem correctly. You will need to set the VPI/VCI of the modem. (i.e. Bellsouth is vpi=8/vci=35 earthlink is vpi0/vci35) You are better off buying a modem off ebay that your ISP supports. More often than not you are even better off buying the modem from your ISP because it will come with a warranty and most of the time they can send a tech out to replace it if it dies.

hmm my dsl modem i got from my old isp would not work with pacbells dsl... cant remember the techinical reason offhand but they just were not compatible.

It may be differnet in different parts of the country...but in the southeast everything is owned by Bellsouth and companies like earthlink and aol rent the lines from bellsouth. Therefor any modem is going to work...but I dont know anything about swbell, pacbell, or whatever its called in the northeast now

I use a Netgear DG814 modem. It includes a firewall (NAT) and a 4 port 10/100 router. It requires no software to be installed for it to work and it can act as a DHCP server so it will handel the IP addresses of all of your computers.

I think it is the best think since self adhesive stamps!!!!!

2wire makes a similar product called the Homeportal for $150 that runs the network through the phone lines in the house. Its so easy to set up that a monkey could do it(or someone from the hills of lousiana).

Back