• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper tubes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GWN

I know installing would be a pain but in the quest for lower temps wouldn't it be better to use coper tubes through out the water system. I would think that would give the water more chance at getting rid of some of the heat rather than just a rad. Don't know how it would work with all the connectors. Heck you vould even have finns all over the copper tubing. Expensive I'm sure but some people spend a lot so I was just wondering?

Thoughts, suggestions, outbursts?

Expensive. Yes. Insane Definitely. I'm certainly in the development stages. In the end, it's most likely going to look a bit different.

hmmm.....
copper tubes with colder water running through them + warm case = condensation

you could get rid of this by wrapping the copper tubes with foam, but then you have lost their heat exchange properties and advantages

KeyboardCowboy said:
hmmm.....
copper tubes with colder water running through them + warm case = condensation

you could get rid of this by wrapping the copper tubes with foam, but then you have lost their heat exchange properties and advantages

Condensation will only occur if the tube surface in contact with the air around it is below the dew point, which is always going to be below ambient. So unless there is some mechanism bringing the water down below ambient, this isn't concern. And if there is a mechanicsm bringing the water below ambient, copper tubing would be more harmful because it would allow more heat into the water. End of story.

This has already been done as well, and I believe there were only slight increases in performance. The major benefit, a nice clean, easily accessible case. Oh, and also the elimination of the possibility of kinks.

You can buy them like that in baseboard radiators but I think the temperature differential would have to be great to see some effect. Maybe if you had a bunch of pelts on your cpu with non-chilled water it might help in that situation. What do you think?

Back