• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My temps went up when I put a antoher fan in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exar Jun

My temps went up when I put a another fan in?

I put another exhaust fan and my core temps went up by a 4-5 degree average?

Why would this happen?

Before 43-45 avg 48-50 not

Last edited:
You could of altered the airflow enough to cause a dead spot near the cpu, as in one fan cancelling the effect of another fan instead of enhancing it. I can only suggest you try turning the new fan to blow the other way.
Telling us what type of case ( as in size ) what fans and where, would help us to help you a lot easier.

:beer:

My fans are all 8cm. one side intake. The other two are the normal front to back in out.
I am thinking of flipping that one over or modding my case and putting a few fans on the top for exhaust.

Why is the HSF blowing air away from the processor?
It should be blowing down into the core.

I have used that case on 4 clients PC's and never had an issue.
Bottom front blowing in
Side panel blowing in
Rear top blowing out.

I tries blowing air away from my processor and my temps went up 5 degrees C.
Yes buy an AX7, I have one and its the best purchase I have ever done. Temps dropped so much I put a 80cm variable speed fan on there and run it so I can barely hear it, and temps never get above 43C with a 1.4ghz T Bird @ 1.53

Side fan intake, cpu blowing from sink, sounds like a dead spot over the cpu, try turning the side fan to exaust to aid cpu fan not fight it.

Dont worry about the cpu fan sucking air my k6-2 is set up like that, it works for that machine :D

I tryed that too. My best temp where with hsf blowing away from proc side fan blowing in and front fan blowing in?

Perplexing::eh?:

edit: oh also without back exhaust fan.

Sorry its got me stummped :eek:

It does sound like an airflow problem rather than not enough air, because you had lower temps before, maybe try using some cardboard to direct/deflect air across the cpu to try to eliminate the dead spot.

Don't you just love last second thoughts, could you have made it so the warm air from the vidio card is going passed the cpu raising the air temp before the heatsink gets it ??

temps

That's really odd. It must be hot airflow hitting the socket beneath the HSF when you have it set up the recommended way that's giving you these weird readings. Seems like with the side intake and HS fans fighting each other, maybe the cool air is getting deflected underneath the socket and throwing the thermistor off.

I have that case and a volcano 7. I use the standard configuration: front-in, back- out, side- in, HSF- down into the fins.

A temp probe on the core would really help you figure this one out.

As soon as I get to it, I am going to get a compunurse? I think that is what it is called...to get better readings of the temp.

Edit: What fan do you all suggest to get for my AX7 that I am going to order?

i'd say get a 50cfm sunon. i've had some interesting issues with flow in that case. i get the best temps with the front and rear fans blowing in and the side hole just kinda sitting there with nothing on it. if i put a fan blowing either direction in that side slot it raised my temps by a few degrees. i will soon be cutting 120mm fan holes in it: one in the top and the other right over the processor.

Yeah, I am thinking of trying to put a exhaust on the top of the case. This may help pull away hot 😠 air from the mobo.

What about a duct?

try making a duct from the HSK fan to outside the case , sound like that are in ya case is too hot
mine i knock off 5.c with a simple duct ,
the top fan on the back is blowing out
the one with the duct is blowing in cool air from outside the case,
HSK fan blowing on to the HSK
slot fan blowing out
and theres 2 fabs at the font blowing In

ok the duck looks Crap but it works
Well not now im water cooled with a home made block

Attachments

• duct1.jpg
    duct1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 86
Ahhh! Fellow fabricator. As soon as I get a digital camera(not that soon really) I will pm you we some contraptions that I will be doing here soon.

I got lots of ideas but no finished products yet.

My man JayLarge...you can use my camera if you want....maybe we'll come over for some dinner and I'll bring it with?

I've thought about doing a top fan, but I don't think I have enough room between my PS and CDRom...

I got some good clear fans with the blinking LEDs from SVC that I am going to put in...just got a window and the light is on the way.

BL

You build a new rig too. Did you unlock your 1700. Maybe when we get together we can try it out. How is that 8K3a?
I am going to buy the ABIT KX7333r from newegg today. I am sending back my stinking GB mobo.
Where did you get your chaintech?

You guys should come over Tues. or tomorrow or sunday around lunch. call me.

Back