• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fill rate bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Macel

Registered
If it's not the video card, does anyone know what would affect your fill rate most of all? Processor speed? ram access time/bandwidth?

What about the RAM on the Video Card. If your using a GeForce 2 GPU and SDR memory...then you have one of the more common bottlenecks that are seen by many people. The GPU on the GeForce 2 Cards can usually dish out more than the memory on the card can handle.

Other than that...my guess would be your CPU...if your running an older chip...you might not be delivering the data to the videocard fast enough...thereby causing a decrease in the potential performance of the card. Bus speed? Are you running a celeron processor???

Im running a athlon 1.33ghz w/ 266fsb
geforce 2 gts w/ ddr mem
My fill rates are lower than most others with similar setup for some reason.
A7M266 mobo, I called Asus tech support and they told me that the a7m does not support micron DDR ram well, which is what I have.. (pc2100 256 megs)...so Im wondering if that is the problem. If its not then I think its a badly designed AGP bus/AGP miniport driver for the mobo. Trying to decide whether to buy different ram or to return the motherboard and go for a trustworthy abit KT7A mobo or something of the like.

My fill rates are about 700 mtexels/s... so your score IS rather low. I'd back off the OC, run a default benchmark, and start playing with different drivers. I use the 12.00 drivers and don't seem to encounter any problems (and get good benchmarks).

I've tried 12.00 drivers, 12.41 drivers and 12.90. 12.90 is best by far...but the fill rate is the same as with the other two drivers, very disappointing. Overclocking the card improves the fill rate a bit. Could it be the video card or something with my mother board?
Maybe I should experiment to see if OC'ing the ram on my motherboard makes a difference. if it doesnt then I know the video card is probably the problem.

Asus A7M266 mobo- Athlon tbird 1.33ghz processor w/ 266fsb

Asus tech support told me to install a program called "powerstrip" which allows me to manage my AGP port settings. I noticed that fastagp writing was off for some reason, even though I had it enabled in the bios. Whenever I try to enable fastagp writing it freezes my system...The only way I can enable it is if I switch to agp 1x mode which is obviously not worth doing...

Macel (Jul 13, 2001 10:01 a.m.):
Asus A7M266 mobo- Athlon tbird 1.33ghz processor w/ 266fsb

Asus tech support told me to install a program called "powerstrip" which allows me to manage my AGP port settings. I noticed that fastagp writing was off for some reason, even though I had it enabled in the bios. Whenever I try to enable fastagp writing it freezes my system...The only way I can enable it is if I switch to agp 1x mode which is obviously not worth doing...

I stand corrected. I get 780 Mtexels in 3dmark 2000, I get around your scores (even a bit less) in 3d2001. Sorry for the confusion, but it seems your scores are right where they ought to be.

Back