• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help! my Linksys router keep hanging up on me.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only thing off the top of my head that I can think of would be your service provider is causing the problem. I don't know if its the same for cable, but on my DSL service If I show no activity for a certain amount of time, I have to resign onto the service. Although my Linksys router has a "keep alive" option to prevent against this.

Also I notice that my router and modem get really hot sometimes, maybe its possible that one of yours has some faulty fan inside and its overheating.

Sorry I can't think of anything else, I find it really wierd it can go for two days then die on you. Have you noticed anything specific that you do that could trigger this to happen???

ALthough I doubt it, do you think you have so much network traffic that you are bogging down the router, and frankily all hell breaks lose.

good luck

well, keep alive isn't the problem for cable. at least for my isp.

and heat isn't a problem neither. it's cool when touch.

too much traffic??..........when it's first time i heard of this :rolleyes:

but well, i guess i do. my SETIQueue server do generate quite a lot of traffic. more than some small site. but it hang up wasn't at the busiest time tho. but wasn't at the lightest time neither. :rolleyes:

LandShark said:

too much traffic??..........when it's first time i heard of this :rolleyes:

ya I was really pushing to think of something:D . I don't even know if a problem like that exists. First time I had heard of it too, my brain can be creative (sometimes). I just thought packets do get lost from time to time, so anything is possible I guess. I've done a couple of google searches on a problem like yours, and so far nothing.

I found this little tid bit on a Linksys router and a cable conection. Look under the issues section but I will include it here. So you don't have to goto the site. http://www.dalantech.com/linksys-dsl.shtml

I also noticed one other small annoyance. It seems that if the cable company bounces the node, the router loses its connection with the WAN and you have to power cycle the router to get your network back on line with the Internet. The reason I say this is a small problem is that Winproxy used to do the same thing, but when I moved to Win2K server routing that problem ended. Perhaps it is a bug that could be fixed in future firmware releases.

So far this is all I've found. I hope someone can explain what it actually means:) .

I have DSL and every now and then I loose my access to the web.. All I usually do is powerdown the DSL modem and reboot the computer (just because when you call into tech support the always tell you to do so...) JUST HABIT and reboot everything and I get a connection again.

I have the same wireless router you have and it doesn't hang up on me... if it continues to do so get in contact with Linksys and tell them whats going on.

AMD'er did you try the "keep alive" option on your router?? I have the same wireless one too and that option usually keeps me from getting disconected.

Back