• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual athlon xp overclocking questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disabled
first off what is the best motherboard for overclocking dual xp's or mp's? I have heard that Iwill mpx2 is ok but still has problems. Also i know that an unlocked xp's can run as duels, but do they need to be L5 unlocked as well? And do dual mp/xp systems still get lower FPS in games that don't use SMP? e.g. a duel system would get significantly less fps in a non smp program running 2 cpus than the same system only running 1 cpu. Is there still video card issues as well? If so what types have issues.

Well... SIGNIFICANT difference, no. The thing you want to do is get a good graphics card. You can see on my sig what I got. I ran Unreal Tournament at 1600x1200x32 with everything turned to max, loaded the 2nd Space Beacon map (it's so huge that 16 players can take a lot of time to find each other) and put in 16 contestants in a 4-team game and was getting an average of 60 fps. At no time was there any kind of lag, unless the OS flaked out.

At the time, I didn't have a useful CPU-utilization meter to tell if both CPUs were being used or not. I suspect they were, as I couldn't get this particular game config to work nearly so well on a T-bird 1300 w/ TNT2U, but I haven't retested yet.

No dually system will overclock the FSB very much. Maybe if you get really lucky. I got it up to 150, but it wouldn't always boot up. I was having some problems at 144, and have dropped everything back to spec for an extensive testing period to find out just where stability lies. I would not be surprised if 144 was the best I could do. Wish I could use multipliers, I'm sure these CPUs could go a lot higher.

Back