• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major Problem with my LeadTek G4 Ti4600. Any help would be appreciated.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth_MaGe

Registered
I purchased a Leadtek Geforce4 Ti4600 (A250 Ultra TD) about 2 months ago. Today, while I was in Windows XP, my screen showed video artifects all over the desktop. All I saw was colored blocks going up and down the screen. At first I thought it was probably nothing and rebooted. After the restart, I saw the same screen artifects while the video and system bios was posting. I don't understand why this has happened. I have MORE than ideal case cooling (2 side blower fans and 2 exhaust fans). I checked the fans on the cards heat sink to see if they were running. (they were) Even if the fans were not running, my case fans still would cool the card down enough. Obviously heat was not an issue. In order to see my desktop somewhat clearly I was forced to put my screen resolution to 640x 480 @ 16 bit color. I took a snap shot of what my screen looked like with my web cam. (Snap shot is below) After that I thought maybe the BIOS ROM of my video card somehow became corrupt (highly unlikely, if possible at all) so I tried updating the BIOS, yet I still had the same results. I then inserted the card in another computer and STILL the same problem. I decided to check the clock speed of the card using a program called PowerStrip 3.0. The card read the core at 300MHz (Seems right) but then I noticed that the memory was clocked at 425 MHz. (Of course this is not correct because it's supposed to be 650 MHz) From this I concluded the hardware of my video card was damaged in some way. (Most likely the memory judging by that weird reading from PowerStrip 3.0.) Does anyone have a clue as to what may have caused the card to spontaniously work improperly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

PS - I already sent an email to leadtek, hopefully they can help me.

screen1.jpg

First did you remove the stock cooler at any time and add say as2 or as3???Have you tryed volt/modding it? Have you ever overclocked it? It sounds like a memory related problem...RMA time...

ga-7vrxp rev 1.1 (f7)
2000+ +5%vcore
FSB@133 default
1x512meg samsung ddr333@ 2,2,2,5,1,
ti4400@310/675 pny is the sh*t just ask macci oh and me
audigy gamer
2x80g wd 8meg raid 0
antec truepower 550

11,728 no oc fsb/cpu yeah baby

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3914474

Since it does this at post, drivers are not the problem and Windows is not to blaim (for once).

I have overclocked it to 320/740. But I seriously doubt overclocking it would have damaged it since I had it cooled pretty well. I have never modded it nor removed the heat sink. And I can't return it to the reseller because I think I lost my invoice and forgot the reseller I bought it from =X. That's why I'm turning to Leadtek.

poor thing. there is a thread in the cooling section that shows pics on cooked GPUs that has been overclocked. maybe it is something not wrth trying even wif good cooling.

Monitor Problem

That looks like your monitor has a dodgy connector, check your pins! It could even be that your monitor is too old.

Doesn´t look like a Monitor Problem with me, I would guess the Ram is the problem here...
I got a Problem like this when I messed with some AS on my Video Card and got some AS between the Pins of the Ramchips...

As I said before, I emailed Leadtek. As of now still no response. But I did email it over the weekend and it's only monday...

Anyhow, Getting into windows is hard enough.. let alone setting the clock speed. The monitor is not to blame of course because I am using the same monitor with my old Geforce2.

I as well suspect it's the memory since I did have it running at 740! Although the card never got too hot..

Sigh.. I am just wondering if this card could possible be saved. Would increasing the AGP voltage kill a video card?

I completely checked the card.... There are no signs of physical damage... Not only are there blocks going down the screen, but also random numbers. Maybe the heat sink became somewhat loose and cooked the gpu or maybe one of the ram chips got too hot because the heat sink became a little loose. Has a problem like this ever happened to anyone? Also would a highly overclocked FSB damage a video card? And would the agp speed be a limiter when trying to get your FSB really high?

And it is underclocked. I reinstalled the drivers. and the only way to boot into windows was to go into safe mode. (still could barely see the screen) Powerstrip showed clocks at 300/425

425? Wth.. It appears to have underclocked it self. And I can't get it to clock back to 650... the slider only goes up to 520 as if it's a slower 4200 card.. So weird.:eh?:

"will increasing the agp voltage kill the card", the answer is yes..what did you have it set to 1.8v? also did you mess with the agp driving control at all?? Just RMA the card to leadtek man. you said you did nothing to the card and obviously its not going to fix itself so send it in for a new one...Get an RMA: overnight it and the turnaround should be a week or less...

i had a problem that looked almost identical to the picture you showed. i had been running games for about 6 or so hours straight and my card was oc'd and i think it either just got to hot, the drivers got screwed up somehow or data on my ps gpt scrambled (because i was oc'ing my fsb also) so i let it cool down, uninstalled my videocard drivers, and reinstalled them and POOF! everything was fine?
but since it did the same thing on a different pc then i dunno?
try unistalling and re installing the drivers.

I believe I had the I/O voltage at 3.65 as opposed to 3.50.

Does this have anything to do with the AGP voltage?

Also, I did mess with the driving control because I didn't know what it was. by default it was set to DA but I set it to auto a few times to see what would happen. What is that anyway?

So increasing the AGP bus speed would kill a card as well? or just the Driving control and the voltage?

Why is there a voltage setting for the AGP bus anyway?

So if I overclock my FSB to MEGA speeds, it could damage my video card?

Back