• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i get now a gf4 or wait to the nv30?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

highacker

hey! gf4ti series just went into my affordable grounds and i'm ready to get the ti4600, the problem is this.

there's a lot of brands out here wich one should i get?

i own a gf3 ti200 many people have told me not to get any of the gf4's since it's not a big upgrade jump, that i should wait to the nv30 to come out, i really don't now if to wait or just get the 4600 and if i do so, wich brand?

Is there a web site with info/specs on that new video card because it sounds very interesting. I am thinking about getting a geforce 4 and maybe if i read more on this new card my plans might be changed.

i really don't have any info of it but i heard pretty cool specs of it like a totally new redesigned gpu with a 512 bit core, better memory, fully compliant with directx 9 and o lot of sweet things.

the gf4 it's nothing else but a gf3 with better memory and a second vertex shader at diferent clock speeds, nothing else but that, oh and the LMA II and FSAA that works, it didn't did what the gf3 did: a really cool change and totally redesigned gpu, i called it a "ultra tuned gf3". but any way i can't stop saying it's mega fast and a sweet little nice card, but.... if this is cool how it would be the nv30 like.....o yeah! can't wait for it

yes u dont really need the upgrade , but me i do. the ti4200 -4400 is more my price range :beer:

but i dont know if the 4400 is really worth the extra cash

The 4400 does have BGA... That's what kept me from a 4200. I ended up going with a Ti200 though, alot less money and just as mentioned before, plenty strong for now. OCing it got me to 9000, and I havn't even volt modded yet! I already put a 60mm all copper Socket A heatsink on there with a 40 CFM fan (more than my DORB3 which I use for the CPU, incedentally), so I can more than handle any v-mod related heat issues. It's just a matter of me being to lazy to go get resistors.

I would wait for the NV30, and maybe even then a little longer. A few months after they come out they should drop like $50-100 from the initial price. Hopefully.

--Illah

just wait for the new chips to come out to slash Geforce 4 prices to that of a geforce 3 now. u get a better bargain.

dansonang said:
just wait for the new chips to come out to slash Geforce 4 prices to that of a geforce 3 now. u get a better bargain.

now somebody is thinking :D as andytech showed us Ti4600 will be plenty strong enough for the new games next year.

xbiker321 said:
does anyone know the release date for that new nvidia nv30???

I don't think there is a set date.... but from what i've been reading, we're looking at Late 2002, Spring 2003. Somewhere around that time frame.

I personally have a PNY GeForce3 Ti200 and i'm also awaiting this new NV30 core. I'll let it sit out there for a while, get some reviews on overclockability and such. Should be interesting :)

awwww, i cant wait that long. I think my mind is now set on replacing my geforce 2 mx 400 pci with a nice new geforce 4 ti 4400:D

dansonang said:

Yeah, that's why I ended up with a GF3. Even if I spend ~$125 a year getting 'old' technology (at least to sicko users like on this board ;) ), it's still cheaper than spending $400 and using it for two years, then spending another $400.

--Illah

its not good to keep up with technology by buying new products. one should be decisive in what one wants. I do not believe money can be generated at that fast a rate unless u are bill gates.

wait for the new chips to be released and wait for afew more weeks after that, for ppl to review it. u will never know the new chip may be some cheap stuff . Let other ppl become the g. pig, not you

"PC Manufacturers ship machines to resellers twice a year - in April and August. That means Nvidia has to have a new chip ready each February and June." The Next Intel, By: Jeffrey M. O'Brien. Wired Magazine, P. 102 July 2002.

'Nuff said?

shipping chips to those branded but crappy machines in feb, which means the chips would be released to the public b4 feb. hopefully b4 christmas. from what I know, pc makers are slow in using those new chips. they usually stick to the old ones to clear stock

Haha the typical OEM boxes STILL come with GF2MX cards lol.

Anyway, I'd advise the OP not to wait for something as far off as the NV30. Playing the waiting game is part of the upgrading business, but to keep frustration to a minimum I'd stick to waiting for officially announced products to arrive in stores. That's tiresome as it is. NV30 will be a wait of about anything between 4 and 8 months (assuming a normally priced product commonly available in stores).

highacker said:
i really don't have any info of it but i heard pretty cool specs of it like a totally new redesigned gpu with a 512 bit core, better memory, fully compliant with directx 9 and o lot of sweet things.

the gf4 it's nothing else but a gf3 with better memory and a second vertex shader at diferent clock speeds, nothing else but that, oh and the LMA II and FSAA that works, it didn't did what the gf3 did: a really cool change and totally redesigned gpu, i called it a "ultra tuned gf3". but any way i can't stop saying it's mega fast and a sweet little nice card, but.... if this is cool how it would be the nv30 like.....o yeah! can't wait for it

um, AA works PERFECTLY on the geforce 3.

trust me, it is just fine on a geforce3, do not upgrade cause of that. it takes a slight less performance hit with quincunx AA, but nothing like it being broken...:rolleyes:

that's it, i'm keeping my gf3 until nv30 arrives and it's price falls off into my budget, that way i can spend the money on a audigy or that nice alluminium lian li case i saw the other day.

Back