• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 2 Ultra Vs Geforce 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Perfect_Shabba

what do u people think of the Geforce 2 ultra and the Geforce 3

which one do u think is better..

and if u have a Geforce 3 what FPS do U get in quake and what benchmarks do U get in 3DMARK 2001..

They say the Geforce 3 is much better in quality BUT is it..

Well my 3dmark2001 is in my sig...and that is not overclocked!!! The thing between the two is that the Geforce3 has a totaly different chipset and almost can not be compaired to the Geforce2 series. The Geforce3 has the NFinate FX engine in it. If you are like me you have no idea what that means until you own the card. IF you have seen any of the rendering that the Geforce3 can do, you would wet your pants. I did. On 3dmark2001 it runs some tests that won't run on anything but the GeForce3 because the other cards can't handle it. Like Pixal Shading and Bumping and others. It isn't the framerates between the two cards it is what they can achieve. I know the Geforce3 is over 300 bucks (and i don't know what the Geforce2 Ultra is) but the games that they are making now that take advantage of the Geforce3 are absoultly amazing. The lighting and the in game charcters look REAL. I really mean REAL. I think anyone who buys something under the Geforce3 will be buying a new video card soon becasue they will be so mad because their graphics will not look near as good as other people's....that is when the games come out....my advice, buy the Geforce3, It is the best thing i have bought.

From the reviews I've read concerning the Geforce 2 Ultra and the geforce 3 The geforce 2 Ultra is actually a better performer in the fps, but the kicker is that the geforce 3 has way way better shading and overall better picture quality, I already have the Geforce 2 Ultra.. I don't plan on upgrading till the Geforce 4 or 5 comes out next year, the quality increase on the Geforce 3 really doesnt justify me shelling out another 400 bucks

i aggree, but if you don't have either and you need a good video card now...i'd go with the Geforce3...I have an ASUS but any are very good

I have got a Geforce 2 ultra and am very happy with it.
I have seen the benchmark in 3DMARK 2001 which is called the nature demo with the mountains and the lake and it does look really really good i have to give it credit for that,
but come on how many games are really going to use the ge force 3 to it full potential i haven't seen one yet , there maybe games in development but until they are released U just have a very expensive and powerful card just sitting there.... 300 bucks just sitting there....

Perfect_Shabba (Jul 17, 2001 09:54 a.m.):
I have got a Geforce 2 ultra and am very happy with it.
I have seen the benchmark in 3DMARK 2001 which is called the nature demo with the mountains and the lake and it does look really really good i have to give it credit for that,
but come on how many games are really going to use the ge force 3 to it full potential i haven't seen one yet , there maybe games in development but until they are released U just have a very expensive and powerful card just sitting there.... 300 bucks just sitting there....

Right now Doom 3 is being designed for full implementation pf the infinite engine (or whatever it is called). There are more games under development, with release dates (obviously) being targetted for the holidays.

At the press conference for the geforce 3, the head developer from ID (quake, doom, etc) gave a preview of Doom 3 which looked breath taking.

Looks like developers are following suite, knowing the true hardcore gamers are buying up the GF3 cards and are thirsty for software. Also, once games are released and people really see what this card card do, the geforce 3 sales will go through the roof.

My 3D2K1 mark is around 5800

The GeForce 2 Ultra will beat the GF3 in low rez and 16 bit colour, however if you want to play in 32 bit and/or high rez the GF3 kicks bottom.

I play all my games in 1280x1024, 32 bit, full quality and get *plenty* of FPS. It's only worth getting a GF3 if you have less than a GF2 or have a burning desire to play in high rez.

P.S. I upgraded to GF3 from Voodoo 3 3000 ^^

I have a gf2 ultra and dont plan on upgrading for a while. I dont believe games are going to start getting realy graphical sense many people dont believe in upgrading there cards untell they have to. I know many people who still love there tnt2 or voodoo. I myself am waiting for teamfortress2 to come out lol

I dont think that game will ever come out=[

If i were you i would buy a low budget card like no more than 130 bucks with shipping.
for example i just checked on pricewatch.com and the mx400 is almost as fast as the gts pro and might be just as fast or faster when overclocked. The card runs a mimimal of 70 dollars and i gurranntee you will like that card. Or even buy that geforce pro for 140 and then run in it in your system until the geforce 3 mx or gts pro come out and buy that one because those cards will whip the orginial geforce 3.
Right now im running a voodoo 3 overclocked to 197 from 166mhz and to tell you the truth i dont see a big difference in frame rates against the geforce pro i had overclocked to 238/438 . If you want to read up on more about my story on this deal go to the video card and sound fourm and look up "my sound card and video card experience" i just wrote it the other day

Me, the gf3mx card is a low cost version of the gf3 it will not beat it. If they make a gf3 ultra that will be the upgrade card.
Since you asked Perfect_Shabba the quake games are very cpu dependent so if ypu want to compare
framerates you need to consider that.
I use a visiontek gf3.
When I run the demo test I get 189fps for q3.
My 3d mark 2000 is 8500 and 3dmark 2001 5500.
All tests are with the card at default settings and tests at default.

Back