Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.
Forum Jump

can't open e-mail!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 09:50 PM Thread Starter   #1
woods

can't open e-mail!

I can no longer open my msn. NOt even hotmail! It freezes my puter I have to reboot every time. Even ctrl+alt+del does not work. I can safely go to any other web site but just not any msn stuff. What is the deal? (p.s. this started after I used windows update and downloaded the critical sys patch.)

woods is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 07-15-02, 10:23 PM   #2
Yakbak

Maybe try downloading more critical and system updates...

You can try reinstalling MSN... http://messenger.msn.com
Yakbak is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-05-05, 10:42 PM   #3
Enemy Down!

bleh! i hate to bring this back from the dead but, i seem to be experiencing msn software freezing up and pegging my cpu to 50% or higher non-stop every time i open msn software to check my mail. it won't happen with just messenger active, but does with msn active. IE seems fine though. i tried reducing all running procs to a minimum, re-installed msn and messenger several times with various installed options to no avail. have checked for spyware and viruses as well.

the only thing i did not do is clean the registetry of any msn because i don't know how. can anyone diagnose this crap?

when i check task manager, it says msn.exe is pegging the cpu non-stop. this happens about 30 seconds after i open msn.
Enemy Down! is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-06-05, 07:12 AM   #4
Diggrr
Underwater Senior Member

10 Year Badge

Have your checked for virii and spyware in safe-mode? Some have nasty habit of hiding well from these progs if they're running at the time of your scan, safe-mode avoids this.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late. ~ Benjamin Franklin
Diggrr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-06-05, 11:14 PM   #5
winterhavok

It sounds like either a trojan is piggy-backing on the msn.exe and causing a constant pinging. Try removing msn completely then run an antivirus, anti-spyware and a registry cleaner. Then reinstall msn.
winterhavok is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-08-05, 11:40 AM   #6
Enemy Down!

i will try that. thanks.
Old 06-08-05, 10:04 PM   #7
Enemy Down!

i tried scanning during safe mode and nothing came up. i don't know how to clean the registry of msn, though. is there a registry cleaner that can do that for me?
Old 06-09-05, 09:47 AM   #8
winterhavok

Yeah, if msn is uninstalled from your system, any registry cleaner will pick up entries that are not in use and will wipe them.
Old 06-09-05, 05:19 PM   #9
Enemy Down!

i ran microsofts regcleaner and when i scanned the registry for msn.exe it still existed. now i am confused.
Old 06-09-05, 05:21 PM   #10
Enemy Down!

well msn.exe was in various locations in the registry, so i guess the main msn folders were deleted.
Old 06-10-05, 11:43 AM   #11
anon1

Msn

Wouldn't it be smart to just wipe it from your system, and then download MSN again? That's what I would do. Also, if you have anything saved, like conversations, it would be in the MSN folder somewhere in C:/
anon1 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-10-05, 12:45 PM   #12
winterhavok

The main MSN folder is in \Program Files\MSN Messenger\ Also, there may be some in Application Data\ folder under the Administrator profile. Search for all instances of msn and delete those too, including the Received Files (back up if there are some things that you need). As far as in the registry, click start-run and type in "regedit" then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - MSNMessenger and delete that instance. Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - MSN/MSNx(where x is the version)/MSNMessenger and delete all of those.
Old 06-11-05, 10:13 AM   #13
flamerail
Disabled

Location: Im out of bed, I made it to the keyboard. What more do you want!

Even better backup and reformat...
Then scan all your backups befor reinstalling them.

I dont use msn. First thing I do after i reformat is kill msmsgs from the processes and delete it from my pc. (doing this after i update it to the latest) That makes windows update ingnore the fact its not even on ur pc, the craps still in the reg. Ive sworn to trillian so I'm good.
flamerail is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-16-05, 01:30 PM   #14
Enemy Down!

ok, i ran anti viris again and it keeps detecting this ysb_mp3[1].cab file even after i run adaware! norton cannot delete nor quarintine this file after it detects it and the location that it says is in cannot be located through windows explorer, nor the search feature. norton also says that it is a compressed file or something.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > General Hardware
General Hardware Discuss your new build and gather upgrade suggestions. And if your question doesn't fit anywhere else...it goes here.